[SOLVED] PS3 Slim update to 4.87 causing Error "8002F1F9"

TheeCatalyst21

Reputable
May 23, 2019
I just received a PS3 Slim(CECH 2501A) from my cousin in America, here in the Philippines. It was working just fine with the few game cd's that came with it. I decided to connect it to the internet via cable to see if it still works, it did and I got a notification to update to firmware 4.87 from 4.80. It was stuck in loop on the update constantly giving me that error.

I checked online, Error "8002F1F9" could be cause by the HDD or the Bluetooth/wifi card.

HDD is fine after I checked for any bad sectors, but I don't much about the Bluetooth/wifi card, both controllers won't work on bluetooth and I don't know if the wifi works.

Solutions I've tried is to disassemble the unit and remove the cmos battery for a minute, to just stop the update loop. Didn't work.

I've also tried to format the HDD on my PC, plug it back in, with a flash drive with a ps3updat.pup ver 4.87, still stuck on the update loop error "8002F1F9".

I don't know what else to do.

Solution
That's a pity, is there no other way to bypass this looped error?
First you should find out if there actually is a defective component, ask your cousin and also check yourself if you have spare parts.

If there is something defective (Bluetooth or Blu-ray) that is causing this then you can only either replace the component or jailbreak the PS3 with a firmware that is patched to not care about those components not working.
That's a pity, is there no other way to bypass this looped error?
First you should find out if there actually is a defective component, ask your cousin and also check yourself if you have spare parts.

If there is something defective (Bluetooth or Blu-ray) that is causing this then you can only either replace the component or jailbreak the PS3 with a firmware that is patched to not care about those components not working.

Reactions: TheeCatalyst21
Solution