PS3 Sound Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

aqua08

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2008
I have my PS3 connected to my computer via the optical output. The PS3 sound settings are linear PCM and I checked all the boxes in the optical output screen to enable various audio output formats (Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS, etc.). Now when I am in the initial PS3 screen showing all the games on my hard drive, there is sound. However, when I actually play the games there would be no sound. Things get weirder when I play DVD. There is no sound when I play at normal speed but there would be sound when I play at 1.5 x speed. Any idea??

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
I'd only enable the ones you're sure you're going to use and that your system supports. If you chose to enable them all, one setting might take priority over another and function improperly. Does it not auto detect the settings properly?

aqua08

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2008
Following your suggestion, I only enabled Dolby 5.1. Still no in-game sound though. I know there is optical sound signal to the computer because I can hear the clicking sounds at the initial XMB screen when I changed the menu.

thedrnailsguy

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
I'm having the exact same problem. I get audio at normal speed if I use the HDMI throught the tv speakers. How about you? I'm ready to bring it back to Best Buy.

aqua08

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2008
Same here. Sound through HDMI but not optical. Problem is my TV has only two channel sound. I wanted 5.1 so I connected the PS3 to the computer via optical. Not sure how to correct this!

thedrnailsguy

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
Not sure you can correct this. If it's not some option that needs to be selected or decelected by the user, it's probably going to have to be fixed by a professional.
The fact it works at 1.5 speed and in the menu tells me the problem is with the PS3. The fact that it works with HDMI at normal speed tells me it's reading the disk ok, so somewhere between the disk and optical out there is a problem. I just don't know if it's software or hardware.

thedrnailsguy

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
Ok, during a last ditch effort to try and fix the problem before I returned the PS3 I found the solution (At least for me). I'm not sure what audio card you are using but I'm using a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi "Fatal1ty". Using the Creative console in "entertainment mode" I found the "Digital I/0" options. Be sure the SPDIF input settings are set to "Dolby Digital/DTS SPDIF-In Decode". Mine was set on default before I changed it. Now it is working just fine. I'm not sure how it got changed, I don't believe I changed it. Hope this works for you.

I think the signal in the PS3 menu and at 1.5 speed is not surround and therefor we can hear it. When it switched to a surround signal the setting on the audio card wouldn't decode the signal. Again, I hope this works for you. Let me know how it turns out.

G

I'm having the same problem and I know for sure it's a problem with the PS3 update. I have been using the my digital optical cable with my ps3 to the surround sound for about a year and have played all kinds of games (including fifa soccer) with digital sound. Then after doing the recent update all of a sudden no sound with fifa soccer. I bought a new game (Assasin's creed) and no sound with that either. There is however sound before I enter the game and I have no trouble with streaming videos. This is definitely a software and not hardware issue...yet again sony's system update messed up something that was working just fine...anyone know anything else about this problem?

dsmeds

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2008
I have the same sound problem. With my sound problem I have to reset the console or game until finally I have sound. I just recently bought my PS3 and had to update it too. Once the sound works then it finally stays on without problm. I just have to restart it which is very annoying. Can anyone help me find out why. I will stop buying into PS3 if the first console I bought was a defect. Very unhappy so far. I should have stayed with XBOX 360.

G

PS3 loses sound when using optical lead. No sound on bluray movies. Sound to tv or surround sound is not working.
The reason this normally happens is by someone moving the leads

To fix th sound on ps3

1. Turn ps3 off at back of unit
2. turn back on ( red light comes on)
3 press and hold finger on on off switch ( front)
4 wait for two beeps and a further double beep
5 on screen 6 options
6 choose option 2
7 add your details then when complete sound should be ok

nb: in video options mine is set to bitstream
let me know if this was any help

DantheDane

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
PS3 loses sound when using optical lead. No sound on bluray movies. Sound to tv or surround sound is not working.
The reason this normally happens is by someone moving the leads

To fix th sound on ps3

1. Turn ps3 off at back of unit
2. turn back on ( red light comes on)
3 press and hold finger on on off switch ( front)
4 wait for two beeps and a further double beep
5 on screen 6 options
6 choose option 2
7 add your details then when complete sound should be ok

nb: in video options mine is set to bitstream
let me know if this was any help

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: YESS!!! You saved me! I have been trying to figure out why my ps3 could play blu-ray movies in digital surround, but games only came through in digital stereo.
After rebooting the system as you described above, everything works in glorious digital surround sound!! Excellent!!
Thank you very much!
Regards from DantheDane

G

I have the same problem when i use hdmi, the sound stops when i palying the games, when i use the Blu-Ray is good, can somebody please help me? i change the console already for the same problem, i have the new ps3 (slim)

thedrnailsguy I know you posted this a while back but I have the exact problem you have and im sure what you said would fix it but.... when I try to change the option in the control panel all of the options are greyed out?? any idea?? did some research and I might need one of these...

http://us.store.creative.com/Sound-Blaster-Digital-IO-Module/M/B002DS2IRA.htm

Was wondering if you have one? Really annoying that the option is grey out for me!!

thedrnailsguy Has not posted anything for nearly two years, please start a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS