Question PS4 internet slow

Parv patel

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2016
Hi I was recently trying to download something on my ps4 and saw that it was taking long to download so I ran a speed test and I'm getting 62.9 Mbps download and and 176.6 Mbps upload. I pay for 1000 up and down and usually get at least 500 down and 400 up on my ps4. I have tried to restart my router. Reset my settings on my ps4 and used a different Ethernet cable. If anyone can help that would be great.

Parv patel

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2016
Use Google DNS
Primary 8.8.8.8
Secondary 8.8.4.4

If that doesn't help, port forward on top of that
I tried that but it wouldn't let me connect to the internet. It kept saying the dns server ppl
Is everything on the network slower or just the ps4?
Everything else like my pc is working fine and it's getting the proper speed that it should. It's just the ps4 that isn't getting the proper speed. It was working fine a 2 days ago.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
the speed test from PS4 isn't accurate either. It's a general quick shot test.
And also PS4 services have been slowed down for everyone in order to manage the load on the servers from everyone and their mother downloading large game files since everyone was at home for covid, and most still are.

But that's weird that you can't get a connection at all on your PS4 when you manually specify the DNS to Google.

Are you sure you did it correctly?

Last I checked you couldn't just do the DNS without also doing the IP manually as well (cuz the playstation be dumb like that and make you do ALL of it manually if you wanna do just the one thing)
So make sure you set up your static IP properly.
(Which is required for port forwarding also btw if you were to do that.)

If you don't know how to do static IP here's the gist:
Set the IP (might as well manually set it to what it was auto set to)
The subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0
The default gateway should be the IP of the router (the IP you use to get into the router settings on a browser)

Then you set the DNS manually.
For the Primary as I stated was 8.8.8.8 (make sure there's no spaces or extra digits. just the eights and the dots.)
For Secondary it's 8.8.4.4 (same thing, no extra digits, no extra dots, but don't forget any dots either)

If you do all this and you get no connection to the internet on your network, then something is very wrong.
Either your ISP is evil and is locking things down hella tight (possible, but not likely)
Your router settings are set up in a way that makes things impossible for you to do this kind of thing (should deal with that)
Or perhaps the country you live in doesn't like Google DNS? (maybe if you live in China that is)

Parv patel

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2016
the speed test from PS4 isn't accurate either. It's a general quick shot test.
And also PS4 services have been slowed down for everyone in order to manage the load on the servers from everyone and their mother downloading large game files since everyone was at home for covid, and most still are.

But that's weird that you can't get a connection at all on your PS4 when you manually specify the DNS to Google.

Are you sure you did it correctly?

Last I checked you couldn't just do the DNS without also doing the IP manually as well (cuz the playstation be dumb like that and make you do ALL of it manually if you wanna do just the one thing)
So make sure you set up your static IP properly.
(Which is required for port forwarding also btw if you were to do that.)

If you don't know how to do static IP here's the gist:
Set the IP (might as well manually set it to what it was auto set to)
The subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0
The default gateway should be the IP of the router (the IP you use to get into the router settings on a browser)

Then you set the DNS manually.
For the Primary as I stated was 8.8.8.8 (make sure there's no spaces or extra digits. just the eights and the dots.)
For Secondary it's 8.8.4.4 (same thing, no extra digits, no extra dots, but don't forget any dots either)

If you do all this and you get no connection to the internet on your network, then something is very wrong.
Either your ISP is evil and is locking things down hella tight (possible, but not likely)
Your router settings are set up in a way that makes things impossible for you to do this kind of thing (should deal with that)
Or perhaps the country you live in doesn't like Google DNS? (maybe if you live in China that is)
I'm not sure because when I checked a couple days before this happened. I had the right speeds and when I used to chabge the dns it was working fine and I didn't need to change any other settings. I live in the US and I have verizon fios 1 gb plan they offer.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
yeah, you shouldn't have any troubles.
Just updating the DNS should work for you.
But try setting up port forwarding for PS on your router and be sure to use a static IP on the console so that the IP doesn't change on you and your port forwarding doesn't end up being useless.

But PlayStation as well as some ISP's are purposefully limiting connection speeds during this whole pandemic due to more people being home and it putting a heavier load on servers.

Parv patel

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2016
yeah, you shouldn't have any troubles.
Just updating the DNS should work for you.
But try setting up port forwarding for PS on your router and be sure to use a static IP on the console so that the IP doesn't change on you and your port forwarding doesn't end up being useless.

But PlayStation as well as some ISP's are purposefully limiting connection speeds during this whole pandemic due to more people being home and it putting a heavier load on servers.
I tried doing everything but it didn't work. My speeds are the same with slower download than the upload. I know some ISP's are limiting connections but my internet has been fine I got fios. It was just recently that this was happening. I think it my be my Ethernet port that is causing issues. I did unplug my ps4 to take with my on vacation but when I got back home. It was working fine. It happed a few days after I got home.