PS4 to monitor connection problem

Jul 18, 2018
Hello
Recently I've come up with an idea to bring my old PC's monitor back to use instead of throwing it out I thought I could connect it to my PS4 slim. The problem was that the monitor had a d-sub cable comming out of it and the PS4 had an HDMI port. To overcome that I bought a d-sub to HDMI adapter with audio ports. I thought it would be that simple. I had connected all of the cables correctly and no video appeared on the monitor and no audio from the speakers. I know all the pieces work, yet together once connected they don't. The monitor shows "Power saving mode" and the speakers makes a sound once every now and then, a sound not connected to the PS4. I don't know what to think, could anyone help me? The monitor is LG flatron e1940s-pn from 2010.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Could you link the adapter you are using?

My guess is you are having the same problem PC gamers do when they try to hook up a modern GPU to a VGA monitor. Most modern GPU's and im assuming the PS4 no longer natively support analog signals like D-Sub or VGA. To use an analog monitor you would need a special kind of adapter called a active adapter that will convert digital to analog.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador

That is an active adapter, it should work. I would hook up the PS4 to a TV or something you can get a display on. Then go into display settings or whatever it's called on the PS4 and set the resolution to 1360 x 768 60hz 16bit color if it gives you the option. Then try the monitor again.