PS4's Orbis OS Heavily Based on FreeBSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

jardows

Distinguished
May 14, 2003
This is great news! I love FreeBSD, but the lack of a good AMD driver for newer video cards seriously hurts implementation for things like HTPC, etc. This has the potential for two good outcomes:

1. Sony/AMD contribute back to the BSD community, allowing the drivers to work well with the base OS

2. Developers take up more interest in FreeBSD, making a good OS even better for desktop use.

computerguy72

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
I bet there will be some way to boot the PS4 and XB1 OS's on each others respective hardware. They are so similar... Perhaps could even boot Windows on both of them.

xenol

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
To me, this doesn't come as a surprise. The software listing in the PS3's acknowledgements says the PS3's OS was based on FreeBSD.

RazorBurn

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011
FreeBSD is a great OS.. In its core version, FreeBSD is the most stable OS out there.. And FreeBSD has the best File System to date, XFS, the most Secure and Reliable file system today..

One disadvantage of FreeBSD is its much slower than other OS.. See Phoronix for Benchmarks..

agnickolov

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
This has been known for a while. Sony keeps Apple company in the FreeBSD corner. Google is the Linux champion. And Microsoft keeps its standard high with the NT kernel.

Status
Not open for further replies.