PSU 24 pin to 12 pin adapter, does it work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liracto

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2014
Hi, I have just discovered my Acer PC uses a 12 pin power connection rather than the standard 20 or 24 pin and given I have just ordered a rather pricey RM750 PSU to replace the one acer provided (in order to power a new GPU) I am in need of a cheaper solution than buying a new motherboard and if it works THIS adapter could be it.

Can anyone vouch for these adapters working or suggest if it would work or not, I don't know if the reviews on the site is legit and this seems to be the only website selling this adapter but if it works it would be perfect, It just seemed a bit hopeful. Many thanks

Solution
It should be fine and yes that reasoning is on point but they may not have had intentions of putting such a high end (relative) graphics card on that motherboard ever.

My guess is it works just fine. If it does not, it is most likely the motherboard. Best of luck.

gilbadon

Distinguished
It will work but I have not seen a 12 pin motherboard in years. You may want to upgrade motherboards. Which one do you have? I have not seen a 20 pin motherboard in a while actually. And those are much more common.

The adapter simply takes the voltage rails from the 24 pin and wires 10 of its pins in the right order to the 10 pin motherboard header. It will work, there is no question.

Liracto

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2014

Hi, thanks for the quick reply, due to it being THIS prebuilt acer machine it's quite hard to identify the motherboard, all that speccy will say is that it's a a " acer verition M6630G (socket 0)" which I assume doesn't reveal anything. I obtained the PC effectively free at its acer specs and then I added the GTX 970 and the RM750 PSU so I'd like not to have to spend any more money on a new motherboard so as long as this cable will allow it to function I am happy with that.

Could you give a reason why I might consider upgrading motherboard given the adapter works?

gilbadon

Distinguished
The motherboard you have will have shit voltage control and distribution. Despite buying a better PSU than stock, the motherboard has a lot of control of how the voltage propagates to components. Also does that motherboard even have PCI-e for the graphics card? There might also not be enough power supplied to the GPU from the PCI-e port. You can give it a shot but if it does not work, you wasted $19+ on an adapter.

Liracto

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2014

It does indeed have PCIe and I am currently able to run the GTX 970 using the included PSU, it does however crash the PC which led me to this situation see my other post

gilbadon

Distinguished
The reason for the crash may not be the current PSU but the motherboards inability to provide 75W through the PCIe port. You can do this without the adapter BTW. You can rearrange the molex cables and plug in the 24 pin with the other 12 pins hanging. All you need is a small staple and where the cables need to go. It is a bit more difficult but could save you some money.

Liracto

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2014

Well, the adapter as well as the new PSU have already both been ordered so will have to wait and see what happens.

Does it stand to reason that the motherboard should be providing the adequate wattage to the PCIe slot given the original PSU came with its own 8 pin for graphics cards (I know this could just be acer sending the same PSU with all machines but it seems like a supporting factor that the motherboard is ample?)

gilbadon

Distinguished
It should be fine and yes that reasoning is on point but they may not have had intentions of putting such a high end (relative) graphics card on that motherboard ever.

My guess is it works just fine. If it does not, it is most likely the motherboard. Best of luck.

Solution

Liracto

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2014

I don't know if this alludes to anything significant since it could be either the PSU or motherboard which is gaining "relief" from the action but reducing the GPUs maximum power usage to 70% using MSI afterburner seems to have brought temporary stability (and still 60fps in games :) ) until the adapter arrives in 2 weeks. Thanks for your input on this issue.

davidinark

Honorable
Apr 25, 2015
So, did you get the adapter and PSU yet? Have you installed them? I just ordered the 12-to-24 adapter from MODdiy for my Acer. If yours has arrived, how is your stability? Is the system behaving itself? What issues have you seen (if any)?

I want to prepare myself for when mine arrives.

Thanks!

Liracto

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2014

Hi, it arrived and it works 100% as you would expect it to :)

OldnAchy

Reputable
Jan 8, 2016

I agree about the thread. I actually got here from a general 24 pin to 12 pin search. I too have an Acer G3-605 and purchased an EVGA GTX 970 graphics card and an EVGA 850 Watt PSU to upgrade and power graphics. I didn't realize the 605 motherboard had a 12 pin power connection until I tried to install the PSU, my fault for not surveying the landscape.

I was able to install the 970 with the 605's PSU 6 pin graphics connector using the 970 supplied 6 pin to 8 pin/6 pin adapter (note that nothing longer will fit and an SLI solution is not possible). The installed PSU is rated at 500 Watts which is the suggested power for a 970. Everything worked fine when I fired up the desktop. I haven't stressed the system yet but will look into that tomorrow. Still I would like to install the 850 Watt PSU and the 24 to 12 pin adapter appears to be the answer. One note -- that size PSU just fits.

mcduke

Prominent
Aug 1, 2017

I know this is an old post, but it's along the same line as what I'm thinking of doing. I have an Acer Veriton VX4630G small form pc and it only has a 220 watt psu It does have a PCIe X16 slot. I would like to add another 8gb ram ( it can support 16gb ) and a GTX 970 graphics card. So I'd like to also try the 24 pin to 12 pin adapter and use a 600 watt psu. Did you have any issues with your Veriton using the adapter long term? Has anyone tried this with no problems over time?

Status
Not open for further replies.