Question PSU 4+4 pin CPU cable and mobo CPU header dont match?

Oct 13, 2019
So as I was trying to connect the PSU 4+4 pin CPU power cable into the motherboard CPU connector I found that the extra 4 pin cable's shape is different from the left 4 connectors which I thought would be a match:

View: https://imgur.com/a/vtC2BYA

As you can see the 4+4 pin cable one is standard crisscross 2 square 2 semi round the other however is all semi round, but on the motherboard connector both sides are 2 square 2 semi round albeit pattern in a mirrorly fashion.

Mobo: Asrock B365m Phantom 5
PSU: Seasonic Focus Gold 550W

I've seen 2 threads talking about this(On this forum) but most responses are about the differences between PCIe 6+2 pin and CPU 4+4 pin cables which isn't the issue here.

Any help would be appreciated.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
The 4+4 pin connector should attach to that connector with no issue, just make sure you have the 4+4 pins in the correct order. Usually, the retaining clip will be in the center when both sides are pressed together. Also, make sure you have the correct end of the power cable connected to the PSU.

Oct 13, 2019
The 4+4 pin connector should attach to that connector with no issue, just make sure you have the 4+4 pins in the correct order. Usually, the retaining clip will be in the center when both sides are pressed together. Also, make sure you have the correct end of the power cable connected to the PSU.

Guess thats my only option.

I wonder if there is a reason why the extra 4 pins are shaped differently from the connector though

Oct 13, 2019
Saw on reddit after doing some research, one answer seems reasonable, sounds like semiround shroud is supposed be universal, meaning it supports both square and semi rounded connector housings. Square shroud on the other hand matches only with square housings. So the all semi rounded extra 4 pin split cable on the PSU is universal, so that both 4 pin cables can work on the original ATX 4 pin connectors