Question Psu and gpu compatability

itteknik2k20

Commendable
Sep 9, 2020
Hi!
Newb here so please dont be rough;)

So I got the Radeon rx 6700 xt and I am trying to pair it with my old psu, the pcie power cable confuses me, my old gpu did not have this many pins..

will post two pictures below, one as I connected it and the other as well ... the cables available.

20230313-155844.jpg
20230313-155545.jpg
I

It did not post when i turned on the system(no screen picture nor fan activity). I am using a displayport connection.

Is the power connected wrong?
Do I need a hdmi?

Please shoot some knowledge my way before the card dies ;)

Extra question that might be as important:x
Its paired with the 5600x... I felt my old psu for 550w is enough.. even if its not it cant <Mod Edit> up right, People say that but is it from experience or hearsay?

Last edited by a moderator:

itteknik2k20

Commendable
Sep 9, 2020
Really? Do I really need a psu ... skit också.

What should i get?

Coolermaster says 404w for my system
Be quiet says 500-599w

Any recommendationen for 600/650w okeyish psu

itteknik2k20

Commendable
Sep 9, 2020
I dont understand todays stuff 225w gpu + 65w cpu =750w?

Sure a mouse keyboard 1-2 fans draws a few watts but still... I dont get it ...

Im buying new psu tomorrow ...

Thanks guys...

itteknik2k20

Commendable
Sep 9, 2020
Ok ... bought the evga br 650w.
the guy said it would work fine. But the pcie is exactly the same.

The computer store seller is wrong right? Its not compatible right? Right?

TDP doesn't equal how much power they can actually draw.
BeQuiet! also makes great PSUs. Using them for almost 10 years now, never disappointed. I would pick the Straight Power 11 in at least 650W, better 750W.
Minimum PSU Recommendation 650W and evga and corsair are good brands to buy PSU from!
what is the one gpu maker ask for it so you need at least 10% minimal over it for system parts where could you buy it .

itteknik2k20

Commendable
Sep 9, 2020
You need a psu that has two separate wires, with the 6+2 connection on them.

Both got the one pcie cable that splits into 6+2 x 2 (obviously as seen on picture) this is not viable, because each pcie express cable can only deliver 75w. So 75+75 is not 225 as gpu requires? *edit

(I kinda want to make it real clear so I can return the psu with as little anxiety as possible)

This is correct right?

Why ddoes the pcie got 6+2×2 if its useless

I hate this i am not building anything again

Edit: the 8 pin on both my power suply units can deliver atleast 150w though?

Last edited:

itteknik2k20

Commendable
Sep 9, 2020
Explain post #13. If i am to get the third psu i know to get one with two seperate pcie.
I want this to work ...getting the diamond+++ ratings is not a priority at this time

Last edited:

logainofhades

Titan
Both got the one pcie cable that splits into 6+2 x 2 (obviously as seen on picture) this is not viable, because each pcie express cable can only deliver 75w. So 75+75 is not 225 as gpu requires? *edit

(I kinda want to make it real clear so I can return the psu with as little anxiety as possible)

This is correct right?

Why ddoes the pcie got 6+2×2 if its useless

I hate this i am not building anything again

Edit: the 8 pin on both my power suply units can deliver atleast 150w though?

Why they do that I cannot say, but this is from Seasonic, which is a top of the line PSU OEM manufacturer.

https://knowledge.seasonic.com/arti...ark-for-high-power-consumption-graphics-cards

Installation remark for high power consumption graphics cards
High power graphics cards (above 225 Watts) are usually outfitted with two (or three) PCIe slots. For performance and safety reasons, Sea Sonic highly recommends the use of two (or three) separate PCIe cables to connect such cards to the power supply.