PSU blew up

diego.pth18

Prominent
Jan 31, 2018
Hi, good evening, morning or night...whatever it is where you are. Yup my brand new PSU blew up with my brand new build PC and components inside. I just want to know what could have happen because I don't think the system was underpowered, if you think it is just tell and be honest because I want to know the root of the problem to decide if I should have a few more "words" with the store that sell it to me.

System specs

Case: NZTX s340 (has 2 fans)
CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 (stock speed)
Motherboard: Asus Strix b350-f GAMING
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1050ti (yeah, doesn't even need power from PSU)
PSU: EVGA 450 BT
RAM: Corsair 2x4gb 2400 mhz
Monitor: SONY LCD TV 32 inches? idk

Outervision PSU calculator said like it needed like 320w with 8 hours of daily use so I really don't know. Everything at stock speed I even downloaded AMD ryzen master just to monitors temperatures like 23°c idle and like 33° after playing some fortnite°.

The process was nerve racking, first time building a PC some nights I didn't even slept, stomachaches, when I decided to start building I was shivering but Lo and behold at the end the system works perfectly, first day was on like 5 hours played some fortnite, second day like 2 house when I decide to put it in his definitive place system starts perfectly runs like 1 hour, my dad ask me to show it to him because he is happy he wanted to see some graphics, so I open WoW system starts at recomended (high or medium don't remember)settings but while I explain to him what FPS are I slide the fps limiter to 200fps, 3 min pass and BAM system turns off in front of me and my dad, color drained from my face then I start to look to what the * was wrong and I smell that fishy smells of circuits like something blew up, the RGB in the motherboard still works fine and the orange LED that I think shows that the mobo is getting power was still lit but system won´t turn on so I bring it to the store that I bought the PSU and they tell me theres no warranty cause it was a power surge or my system drew more power that the PSU can give, they can´t check other components because not everything was bought from them they just tested the PSU, so here I am thinking I fried all my new components (store said PSU blew itself because OPP, OPC, etc).

Solution
You are way under the 450 watts with your current system and the store is trying to push blame to you, the PSU failed because its sorta a junk PSU.
Contact EVGA and go through their warranty process for replacement, or if you are impatient and want a replacement now, buy a Corsair CX450-550 (ones with the black and white lettering not green and not the builder ones) or a Corsair CX450M-550M.

Also you should have a decent surge protector, which needs to replaced every couple years.
You are way under the 450 watts with your current system and the store is trying to push blame to you, the PSU failed because its sorta a junk PSU.
Contact EVGA and go through their warranty process for replacement, or if you are impatient and want a replacement now, buy a Corsair CX450-550 (ones with the black and white lettering not green and not the builder ones) or a Corsair CX450M-550M.

Also you should have a decent surge protector, which needs to replaced every couple years.

Solution
Some EVGA power supplies are excellent, others not so much.
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/

450w is fine for a GTX1050ti.

I think I would replace your failed unit with a higher quality psu in the 550w range.
It will allow for a stronger future graphics card upgrade.
It will run cooler, quieter, and more efficiently in the middle third of it's range.
A PSU will only use the wattage demanded of it, regardless of it's max capability.

I like the Seasonic focus units.

Return the evga psu and when the replacement comes back do not open the box. return it to the store or sell it unopened.
You are probably lucky that the psu had sufficient protective circuitry to protect your parts.
Other cheap units would not have even that.

diego.pth18

Prominent
Jan 31, 2018
Thank you for replying guys and this point I am overwhelm someone helps because everything seems to go south with me, so thank you I appreciate it, even thought I still don't know if my other components are fine could the RGB and power led of my mobo still work but still being unusable?