Question PSU bracket screws, metal particles, overthinking it or nah?

Fastfishy2

Reputable
Apr 20, 2020
I've probably posted something like this before but, new chassis, new shenanigans.

Rebuilt my rig inside a Silent Base 802 white case. Different to my last one in that the PSU screws into a removable bracket which allows it to be installed from the rear.

I have taken care to make sure I'm not aggressive with the bracket screws but when I went to remove the PSU for cable management the other day, I noticed tiny microscopic metal particles stuck to the threads when I removed them. I also saw what looked like little black paint chips on the floor of the are where the PSU sits. Later that night I removed the PSU with its bracket again and vacuumed around where the paint chips from the black screws had fallen in case there were any metal particles there as well. Carefully put the PSU back in again.

My concern is that I'm using the case as intended but the screws seem to be generating tiny amounts of metal particles which I obviously don't want anywhere near my PSU intake fan. I can't see if there's any actually inside the case without unscrewing the PSU bracket and then having to reinstall it. I also can't clean that area without going through this process too, which is self defeating as I have to put the screws back in again when I'm done.

So, it seems that the possibility of these microscopic metal particles being near my PSU intake fan is unavoidable when using the case as designed, and yet it's a possibility that makes me extremely uncomfortable due to the fact the PSU handles mains power and I'm not inclined towards arson.

That, or I'm overthinking into the fourth dimension about something irrelevant.

Thoughts? Anyone else bugged by this sort of thing? Or am I just that far gone lmao.

Lutfij

Titan
There's only so much you can convey with text until other forms of media are needed to illustrate what you're seeing and in this case, you're going to have to show us the extent of the metal shavings...yes they shouldn't be near your parts, or at the very least near parts/places where power is flowing and can bridge a gap that shouldn't be bridged.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Getting metal shavings when screwing the screws in the first few times is normal. It is to do with screw thread not exactly matching the thread inside the case's PSU bracket, or you over-tightening the screws, thus ripping the threads and producing this waste metal and pieces of paint coat.

Painted screws are nice, but paint will come off from the threads when screwing the screw in.

Unless there aren't excessive amount of the metal shavings, i wouldn't be worried. Also, your PC case should have PSU filter, protecting it. But if the stock filter has way too big of a gaps, better get much finer aftermarket filter. E.g Demciflex that i, personally, am also using with my PCs,
link: https://www.demcifilter.com/magnetic-dust-filters-standard-fan-filters

Fastfishy2

Reputable
Apr 20, 2020
There's only so much you can convey with text until other forms of media are needed to illustrate what you're seeing and in this case, you're going to have to show us the extent of the metal shavings...yes they shouldn't be near your parts, or at the very least near parts/places where power is flowing and can bridge a gap that shouldn't be bridged.
I should've thought of that one. Unfortunately I only saw your reply after taking the bracket out again and doing another thorough go-over with the hand vacuum. Kept it well away from any PCBs and such. Biggest piece I saw was 1.5mm long but it seemed to be magnetized to the screw itself (could be due to the screwdriver) and I doubt there's much in the case as I couldn't even get it off the screw with the vacuum on high power, and I couldn't see any below the PSU area.

Screwed the PSU bracket back in extra extra carefully and gently this time. I don't think there's anything more I can do to be honest, short of taking them out again and giving them a drop of WD40 each, and that feels a bit extreme.
Getting metal shavings when screwing the screws in the first few times is normal. It is to do with screw thread not exactly matching the thread inside the case's PSU bracket, or you over-tightening the screws, thus ripping the threads and producing this waste metal and pieces of paint coat.

Painted screws are nice, but paint will come off from the threads when screwing the screw in.

Unless there aren't excessive amount of the metal shavings, i wouldn't be worried. Also, your PC case should have PSU filter, protecting it. But if the stock filter has way too big of a gaps, better get much finer aftermarket filter. E.g Demciflex that i, personally, am also using with my PCs,
link: https://www.demcifilter.com/magnetic-dust-filters-standard-fan-filters
My case does have a filter but it sits underneath the case, outside of the vent grille. My concern was with shavings being inside the vent grille and getting sucked into the PSU. As I mentioned to Luftij, I removed it again and gave it a thorough once-over with the hand vac and was extra careful getting the screws lined up as much as possible and tightening them as gently as I could. There wasn't much resistance this time around. I did have a check with my phone torch and I couldn't see any sitting below where the PSU sits and I can't really assume the existence of stuff I can't see, so I don't think there's much more for me to do. I'm using the included screws for the bracket that came with the case, so I can't imagine why the threads would be different.