Question PSU Cabling to GPU? Which way to use cables?

Dylan Beckett

Respectable
Jul 12, 2021
Hello

What's the best/proper way to plug in My GPU to My PSU for these parts listed below?
I've heard different things which clash...?

I am currently using 2x Y cables (one end splits and goes to two ends).
I'm using only one end of each split cable (so I have a PAIR of Y Cables - using only one end of each) - into the GPU.

The split ends - one of those goes into the MOBO and the other dangles in space unconnected to anything with the single end going into one of the two slots on the GPU (both slots are used in the end with two separate cables).

So both cables do that into the MOBO.

I've read that this is the correct way to do it?

But I'm not sure - would this cause any issues or is there a better/more correct way?

And yes I have read the Manuals but they aren't always entirely clear and they don't coordinate with each other obviously.

BTW if you don't know - you need TWO PSU connections onto the GPU whether it's one split cable or a pair as I've done.
This is because of the sheer amount of power it needs (not like the older GPUs with one connection) - so please don't post about that as I'm certain of that.

The most important/relevant bits are:

Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC 8G
Be Quiet! Straight Power 11 | 1000W Gold
Gigabyte Z690 AORUS PRO DDR4 (rev. 1.x)

Thank you for your help

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
What's the best/proper way to plug in My GPU to My PSU for these parts listed below?

I am currently using 2x Y cables (one end splits and goes to two ends).
I'm using only one end of each split cable (so I have a PAIR of Y Cables - using only one end of each) - into the GPU.

The split ends - one of those goes into the MOBO and the other dangles in space unconnected to anything with the single end going into one of the two slots on the GPU (both slots are used in the end with two separate cables).

So both cables do that into the MOBO.

where are you plugging them in on motherboard?

Generally, if you use one or more PCIe cable for a GPU from the PSU, you don't attach it to anything else.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Some special case motherboards had an additional pcie connector plug on motherboard but this motherboard doesn't have that. Cpu 8 pin plug is different (it's own) cable so the pcie cables you're using for gpu is only meant for the gpu and additional ends cable tied / tucked away.

Reactions: Colif
Split cables with a pair of 6+ends are designed to handle graphics cards which need a 6 pin connector.
Even a card that needs a 8 pin and a 6 pin can be handled, resulting in cleaner cable management.
But, your card needs two 8 pin power.
If you were to connect via a single cable. It would function. But. the power draw may be too high and the cables might fail resulting in a short or fire.
That is why such connections should be via two individual cables.

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There is No proscribed 'correct' way to plug anything in. You 'can' use whichever method you see fit to use, as long as the wiring and connection rating is good, it's fine.

That said, there are better and worse ways to do anything. The best way to hook up a gpu that requires 2x 6+2pin pcie is individual cables to the psu, no splitters, no adapters etc. However, some cables from the psu have a 6 and 6+2 end, but that amounts to the same thing as you'd only use the 6+2 on each cable.

As far as aftermarket extension splitters and adapters go, as said earlier, that can be dangerous to the pc since you can get a 8pin to 2x 6+2 pin or a 6pin to 2x 6pin adapter/splitter asking a 75/150w connection to supply 150/300w.

So just saying it's a 'Y' doesn't say much, if it's a factory cable with a 6/6+2 then use 2 cables is perfect, but if it's aftermarket extension and only using one side, it's OK, but not great, would be better to use a single wire extension, not a splitter Y.