[SOLVED] PSU Capability Question

Jan 30, 2019
Hey all!
I was just wondering whether my PSU is just about decent considering my specs. I'd appreciate any help. Here are my specs:

JBC professional
Model: ATX-400W (Support P4 Presscott)
AC Input:
Voltage = 230V --> Orange: +3.3V (11A)
Red: +5V (30A)
Current = 5A --> Yellow: +12V (15A)
White: -5V (0.5A)
Frequency: 50Hz --> Blue: -12V (0.8A)
Purple: 5Vsb (3A)
Gray: PIG (OK)
PC Specs:
Motherboard: GA- EP41T UD3L
CPU: Core 2 due E7500 2.93 Ghz (cache 3 MB)
GPU: Afox 630GT (4GB; DDR3; Fermi Architecture; 128 bit; 1333Mhz; 902Mhz Core clock)
RAM: 2 GB (x2) 1066 - 1333
HDD: 500GB Western Digital
SSD: 240GB Western Digital Green

I think that's enough details; if not, let me know and I'll try to provide more accurate feedback. Thanks in advance!

Solution
There is no software that can do this.

To get an idea of what it takes to characterize a PSU, looks at a few professional reviews. You need several pieces of electrical engineering test equipment. Regarding lifespan, there's no way to know for sure. To get an idea of reliability/lifespan, reviewers open up the PSU and see what components were used. Generally Japanese capacitors are considered the best, and higher rated MTBF and temperature are better. They inspect the soldering and workmanship. But all these things just give you an educated guess, there's no way wany could tell you how long a PSU will last in terms of days/weeks/months with any kind of certainty.

All this is part of the reason people on this forum will strongly...
Jan 30, 2019
Well, as a first answer, this seems promising. BTW, I've been running my PC through this for quite a time and it has been going well ever since; with overclocking too. I understand that you mean that my PC is on the brink of failure in case of any power malfunction? Anyway, much appreciated.

Jan 30, 2019
@rolli59
That's what I think, too. But I'm just curious to ward off some issue I've been having; and to know whether my newly-bought GPU can take it. Thanks for the feedback.

Jan 30, 2019
@TJ Hooker
The one I've mentioned above, this one:
www.afox-corp.com/en/products_details.asp?proid=226&typeid=47&id=0

I replaced my Galaxy 9500GT with this. I didn't expect to have any power issues since it is not that power-dependent as I've read and noticed. Bearing in mind that the 9500GT uses the Tesla architecture which renders the card more power-hungry, whereas the Afox 630GT is a Fermi architecture card. I've noticed that actually by monitoring both cards' heat generation; the Afox seemed to heat less.

All in all, I'm not that tech expert so sorry for any misgivings.

Jan 30, 2019
@bignastyid
That's one of the things I've read about using "low quality" PSUs, so yeah it is reasonable and I'm planning to do a suitable change in the future. I just hope it lasts as long as it can and that my AVR (Simple Voltage Regulator) saves me then from a disaster.

Jan 30, 2019
Hey, does anyone know any really good piece of software that can tell me the actual capability of my PSU? And possibly to measure its life-span on such specs? I've read that some manufacturers do not report the actual capability of their PSU, especially the 12V (15A) rail.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
There is no software that can do this.

To get an idea of what it takes to characterize a PSU, looks at a few professional reviews. You need several pieces of electrical engineering test equipment. Regarding lifespan, there's no way to know for sure. To get an idea of reliability/lifespan, reviewers open up the PSU and see what components were used. Generally Japanese capacitors are considered the best, and higher rated MTBF and temperature are better. They inspect the soldering and workmanship. But all these things just give you an educated guess, there's no way wany could tell you how long a PSU will last in terms of days/weeks/months with any kind of certainty.

All this is part of the reason people on this forum will strongly recommend getting a good PSU with reviews to back it up. Because if you get some random off brand you have no way of knowing what it's really capable of, when it's going to fail, and what is going to happen when it does.

Solution
Jan 30, 2019
@TJ Hooker
Reasonable enough. I expected something like Hard Disk Sentinel but for a PSU. I've looked through some softwares but the information they provide require some knowledge and calculations on the user's part. Seems I'll try to read few articles and see what I can figure out.

I do appreciate your help! Thanks.