[SOLVED] PSU case placement help and other noob questions

Muckster

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2013
Two questions. Long post, but I think answers will be quick and easy...

I'm hoping for some help deciding which way to mount my PSU.
Here's my build:
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/pshopper/saved/#view=cjTmgs

Case: Silvestone GD05 (sort of an oversize HTPC, horizontally oriented)
https://silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=241&area=en

PSU: PRIME Ultra Titanium 650 W 80+
https://seasonic.com/prime-ultra-titanium
(select 650 model, #SSR-650TR )

SeasonicPSU installation instructions:

When sitting normally (writing right side up), PSU has a fan on top and is vented out the back. All other sides are boxed in.

It's my assumption that the PSU fan blows OUTWARD like an exhaust. If this is not the case please let me know as it totally changes my conclusion about what to do.

For flat desktop style cases, Seasonic recommends facing the fan towards the mainboard. Not an option with this case. Must be facing up or facing down in corner of case.

Also, first preference is to face PSU fan upward, but ONLY when there is 5 cm of clearance above, AND/OR the case has a ventilation panel on TOP. Well, it's about 4.3 cm of space from the top of installed PSU to top of metal case wall. Also, there are vents, but they are not "top" vents. They are corner vents just above the PSU. Each corner vent is maybe 1.5 cm x 9 cm. There are two. So neither criteria is met, but each criteria is MOSTLY met. There is a nice sized vent on the bottom of the case just below where the PSU mounts.

My feeling is even though I don't 100% meet either criteria, it's pretty close on both counts, and I should use this method and mount it rightside up with PSU fan on top.

Yes/no?

Image tells the story:

GD05B-Top-rear-3-4-1.jpg

Not only that, but this case is inside a cubbyhole inside a wall unit with air holes galore above and below. Whole idea is that heat will escape by going out the top of the case or out the back (aided by two extra 80mm rear case exhaust fans). Again, I'm assuming the PSU fan blows OUT rather than sucks in. Idea for this case and location in the cubby is that heat goes out the back and then up, or in case of PSU, goes straight up.

The other option is to mount the PSU with fan facing down. There is a nice sized vent on the bottom of the case. However, fan blowing out would blow heat DOWN out the bottom of the case. This seems wrong because it's possible heat may well get sucked back into the intake fans.

SECOND QUESTION:

Okay, while I'm here.. it's been a while since I did a build and it's my first micro-ATX. Mobo is Micro-ATX. PSU is ATX / Intel ATX 12v form factor.

Mobo: ASRock - B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4
http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/Manual/H170M-ITXac.pdf

In terms of main power to mobo, on the mainboard itself, there are two interfaces located on adjacent edges of the mobo. (2x5) ATX12v1 AND the (2x12) ATXPWR1. I think I ONLY need the (2x12) ATXPWR1, right? I just leave the ATX12v1 unused, right?

Back at the PSU:
prime-tr-650-connector-side.jpg

I'm using the modular cable and connecting to BOTH interfaces (2x5 and 2x9) in the M/B slot section (bottom right of image), right? Then this goes out ONLY to the mobo ATXPWR1 (2x12)? Right?

Sorry I know this question has been asked here before, and I actually did RTFM on this where I thought it pertained, but am still confused. Seasonic's manual is skimpy and useless in this regard. (BTW, Seasonic really needs to relax a bit on the over- the-top gratuitous packaging. This is a PSU, not the lastest iphone)

Build is on pause until I make sure I'm not blowing it up with the PSU.

Thanks for the help. I think be okay for the CPU and Graphics card power when I get there, but well.... after these questions are answered.... check back on me just in case? :)

Last edited:
Solution
Almost all PSUs have intake fans.
Yep! It's an intake fan:

Thank you for contacting Seasonic support.

It is an intake fan which will suck in air and exhaust it out the back of the PSU where the power switch is located.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please let us know anytime.

Have a nice day!

I mounted it upside down. Cool air is pulled from below and exhausted out the back.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
  1. Look at your own picture. Right hand side is where the psu goes. Look at the bottom of the case. See the grill? That's where the psu will get its air, ignore Seasonic directions, they don't apply to this case. The psu goes in fan-down.
  2. Modular psu. You only need to add the cables you need to use. That's the intended purpose of Modular, otherwise they might as well just make it fully wired.

Muckster

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2013
  1. Look at your own picture. Right hand side is where the psu goes. Look at the bottom of the case. See the grill? That's where the psu will get its air, ignore Seasonic directions, they don't apply to this case. The psu goes in fan-down.

Yes, I mentioned the grill in my OP. I thought the fan was blowing out. Are you sure it's an intake fan? Unless the PSU fan is an INTAKE fan, it's not taking air from anywhere.

I'm not sure I agree with or understand your reasoning enough to ignore the seasonic directions.

I think I could use
  1. Modular psu. You only need to add the cables you need to use. That's the intended purpose of Modular, otherwise they might as well just make it fully wired.

Which is why I'm asking which cables I should use and which parts I shouldn't. It looks like there's a cable that would fit the 2x5 ATX12v1 but I'm not sure if it's appropriate for this mobo.

Last edited:

Muckster

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2013
Can I get a second opinion from someone?

In particular, can anyone confirm if this PSU's fan is an exhaust fan or an intake fan?

Also, I could easily create my own vent in the case just above the PSU by drilling holes. My only concern would be screwing up whatever airflow design/theory went into the case when it was designed.

hftvhftv

Distinguished
Ambassador
Can I get a second opinion from someone?

In particular, can anyone confirm if this PSU's fan is an exhaust fan or an intake fan?

Also, I could easily create my own vent in the case just above the PSU by drilling holes. My only concern would be screwing up whatever airflow design/theory went into the case when it was designed.

Muckster

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2013
Yep! It's an intake fan:

Thank you for contacting Seasonic support.

It is an intake fan which will suck in air and exhaust it out the back of the PSU where the power switch is located.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please let us know anytime.

Have a nice day!

I mounted it upside down. Cool air is pulled from below and exhausted out the back.

Solution