Question PSU Causing GPU Failure?

braxus

Honorable
Jan 1, 2018
This is my second attempt to get my graphics card working on my new system. I have a MSI RTX 3070 OC LHR GPU that when I first tried, the system would not recognize the graphics card at all or as installed. I ended up playing with it and shorted a connection which fried the card. So it was under warranty, so I sent it in. They sent me a refurbished replacement, and installed that. Im still getting nothing from the card, or the system even recognizing the card installed. The system is still working under the CPU graphics at the moment.

So this makes me wonder why my second GPU is also not working? Im now wondering if my PSU is causing the issue? I run an EVGA 750W G6 and Im wondering if it has a safety protection feature, which is keeping the graphics card from powering up, due to maybe too much current draw? My 750 watt PSU is borderline for the needed power output. One check said I needed a 850 Watt, others said around 600. You can check my system components below in my signature. I now have a 1650 Watt Thermaltake, which I haven't put in yet, but is there a chance that is all is needed? Or did I somehow fry my second graphics card by even just installing it? I'd hate to have to send back my second unit, hoping they'll replace that unit too. Any ideas guys?

Lutfij

Titan
Happy New Year!

Due to transient power spikes on the RTX 3000 series GPU's you're advised to have a PSU with a lot more wattage than the entire system needs. Gamers Nexus did a piece on it. When stating 750W, that's an advertised wattage. How old is the unit in question?

I ended up playing with it and shorted a connection which fried the card.
You either hooked the wrong connector to the right header or there was a short somewhere else.

You can check my system components below in my signature.
We ask users to include their systems specs in the thread's body since sig space specs can and will change over time, possibly rendering this thread without a head for the end user in the same boat as you're in at this very moment of time.

I now have a 1650 Watt Thermaltake, which I haven't put in yet, but is there a chance that is all is needed?
Thermaltake is the brand of the unit while 1650W is the advertised wattage of the unit. What is the model of the unit? Was it used prior on another system? If so, what did it power and for how long?

You could also take your assumed faulty discrete GPU over to a known working donor system and see if the issue persists.

braxus

Honorable
Jan 1, 2018
My PSU is only 6 months old, and my replacement GPU was installed for the first time today. Im wondering if the PSU has a protection circuit installed in the unit, specifically the VGA output connection?