Psu causing my computer to shut down under stress with new gpu.

Aug 4, 2018
My computer seems to shut off when under stress. With my new gpu in it.
Specs

Cpu=AMD A8 7650K Quad Core
Gpu= 2 new gpus which don't work evga gtx 660 and msi gtx 960
Gpu that worked fine and didn't cause shut off= gt 710
PSU= power x 3 650w only has 6 pin 960 requires 8 pin
MB= Gigabyte F2A68HM-HD2
Ram= 8gb can't remember the make
My pc was a prebuilt it wasn't playing games as I wanted so I installed a new gpu this was the gpu 710 this gpu doesn't require a pcie cord but the other two gpus do. The 660 ran using the 6 pin connector on the power supply without any adapters but still caused shutting off. I thought it was the gpu heating up and ended up destroying the gpu while trying to clean it out. The msi 960 which is my current card needs a 6 to 8 pin adaptor and also causes shutting Down. The shut downs happen when playing more demanding games yet the games run fine. When the pc shits down I have to disconnect the power cables from it and leave it for around 5 seconds before it will start up again. I believe its the psu since the 710 shouldn't take much to run but shouldn't a 650 w be powerful enough?

Solution
Sounds like a SumVision. Reading the label on this photo, the Power X3 650 has two 12V rails, rated at 16 and 17 amps. The max 12V combined load could be anywhere between 17A (204W) and 33A (396W). Those ratings may of been measured as "peak" or cool ambient temperatures, so max delivery in your system would be even less.

The minor rails, 3.3V and 5V, are rated much higher than the 12V rail. This is an indication of an ancient design. Nowadays, the 12V is prioritized as that's what most components feed off.

PSU related shut downs don't always mean the PSU is underpowered, or too little for your system. In many cases it's due to unstable voltages. A good PSU should have stable voltages (as close to 12V, 5V, or 3.3V without...
I don’t know that psu and searching for power x 3 650w returns nothing specific. While 650w is technically more than you need without know the specific psu it’s impossible to say. I was helping on another thread yesterday, guy had a claimed 640w psu but when I looked it up it only produced 264w on the 12v which is less than a good quality 300w and the 12v rail is the most important.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
If this is the maker of this mystery PSU:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sumvision-Power-600W-Supply-24Pin/dp/B008RUZ690

Then you don't even have a 400W PSU -- or even a good 400W PSU -- and I would never use this with any GPU that requires supplementary power. In truth, I wouldn't really use this PSU under any circumstances. A real 650W PSU would have mor ethan enough of the proper connectors.

Aug 4, 2018
It's a sumivision power x3 600w I got the wattage wrong but I took me a while to find it as well since the computer was a pre built when I found it on amazon I was disappointed to see that it was only a £20 psu probably not so reliable

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Yeah, I would not even try using that with either of the two GPUs at the top.

Aug 4, 2018
Yeah that's the psu l was so annoyed when I seen it for the money I paid for the prebuilt the psu was a joke from now on I'm sticking to building my own computers you just can't trust these prebuilt sellers. So is there any good psus with 8 pin connectors anyone can recommend. I also just noticed the mb doesn't even have the proper pcie in the motherboard it's a 4 pin lead stuffed into an 8 pin plug.

Rexper

Respectable
BANNED
Apr 12, 2017
Sounds like a SumVision. Reading the label on this photo, the Power X3 650 has two 12V rails, rated at 16 and 17 amps. The max 12V combined load could be anywhere between 17A (204W) and 33A (396W). Those ratings may of been measured as "peak" or cool ambient temperatures, so max delivery in your system would be even less.

The minor rails, 3.3V and 5V, are rated much higher than the 12V rail. This is an indication of an ancient design. Nowadays, the 12V is prioritized as that's what most components feed off.

PSU related shut downs don't always mean the PSU is underpowered, or too little for your system. In many cases it's due to unstable voltages. A good PSU should have stable voltages (as close to 12V, 5V, or 3.3V without deviating much) at all times.

I could not find any reviews, detailed specifications, or internal photos. So there is no guarantee for quality.

I'd consider a PSU upgrade. The Corsair CX450 or be Quiet Pure Power 10 400 are great budget power supplies. Just ensure it's compatible with your system.
EVGA G3, Seasonic Focus Plus, Bitfenix Whisper, Corsair RMx, are examples of very high quality power supplies.

Solution