Question PSU Chirping Sound

Jan 22, 2022
I recently unboxed a MAINGEAR pre-built PC, and it's been running well for a few days now. One issue I'm having, however, is this chirping/flickering/scratching/whine sound that is coming from the case. I got my ear right up against the case to listen and it's very clearly coming from the PSU.

The weird part is that it only happens when something very bright is on my main monitor. Let's say I have a dark mode Chrome tab open - it's completely silent. If I navigate to a webpage that has a white background (like tom's hardware) or open mspaint with the white canvas stretched to fullscreen, it starts making the sound. Similarly if I'm in a game and look up at a bright sky it starts making the sound, but if I look into a dark corner or at my feet it stops. The start/stop is instantaneous and the only common denominator seems to be bright/white elements on my main screen. Worth noting if I keep my main monitor dark (displayport) and throw something bright/white up onto my second monitor (hdmi), it stays quiet, so maybe the primary monitor is part of the problem? Both monitors have been working without issues for over a year with my last PC.

The PSU is MAINGEAR's own product "1000W Ignition 80+ Platinum (Fully-modular)", and it's supporting an i7-12700k and a 3080ti on an ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming WIFI D4. Not sure what other specs might be helpful here but I can reply back with more if relevant.

TRENDING THREADS