PSU Connector Trouble...

XXLEGIONHUNTERXX

Reputable
Oct 6, 2015
I recently brought a new power supply to upgrade my pre-built Inspirion 3847 with. In the process of replacing the old power supply I ran into the problem that has been blocking my upgrade. That is the 24 Pin Connector. Taking the thing out feels almost impossible and I'm certain that I'm doing it correctly. No matter how hard I hold the top end of the latch and pull up the connector simply doesn't budge. If anyone has any tips or a suggestion on trying things differently please help me out.

Solution
Well I actually solved this issue a while ago... I forgot to come back to post the answer
;) When pulling the 24Pin connector out I had to pull straight out with a very small amount of force starting out and then progressively pull harder and harder. The 24 Pin simply slipped out easily. Very weird but I have the PSU installed now and it's been working perfectly for the past few days.

inerax

Distinguished
Sometimes things are very tight. Make sure the latch is pushed all the way down. Rock back and forth and see if you can get it moving just a little bit. Maybe place a small, flat head screwdriver between the mobo socket and PSU connector. Be VERY careful to not force this so you dont break anything on the mobo. Just use the screwdriver to start the movement. maybe twist the screwdriver and not pry.

Pat Flynn

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2013
Check for glue. I know a lot of OEM's will use hot glue, or something like 'Locktite' to prevent the connectors from coming loose. You can also try warming up the connection with a hair dryer to see if it helps (don't get it too hot! It'll deform and may also damage the motherboard).

XXLEGIONHUNTERXX

Reputable
Oct 6, 2015
Well I actually solved this issue a while ago... I forgot to come back to post the answer
;) When pulling the 24Pin connector out I had to pull straight out with a very small amount of force starting out and then progressively pull harder and harder. The 24 Pin simply slipped out easily. Very weird but I have the PSU installed now and it's been working perfectly for the past few days.

Solution