Question PSU cooling question

Spacekeleton

Commendable
Jan 30, 2022
Hi, I am trying to determine what was making noise in my PC and the only thing I didn't check is PSU fan. So I want to ask if PSU's hybrid cooling fan spins a bit on a system start-off - like GPU ones? In my case it's Corsair 850x.

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
Corsair RM-x ? It has semi-passive mode, and even when the fan spins up it should be still pretty quiet. There's a possibility that your sample isn't, maybe the fan is hitting something sticking in the fan grille but if it's a regular fan noise then it's probably not a PSU.

Spacekeleton

Commendable
Jan 30, 2022
Corsair RM-x ? It has semi-passive mode, and even when the fan spins up it should be still pretty quiet. There's a possibility that your sample isn't, maybe the fan is hitting something sticking in the fan grille but if it's a regular fan noise then it's probably not a PSU.
I mean, when PC is turned on, GPU with silent mode cooling spins it's fans for 10 seconds or so. Is it same for PSUs? The noise was present when GPU fans were spinning and under load/heat but now it disappeared and I can't look at PSU fan since it's at the bottom of the case. Just want to be sure it wasn't it.

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
I mean, when PC is turned on, GPU with silent mode cooling spins it's fans for 10 seconds or so. Is it same for PSUs? The noise was present when GPU fans were spinning and under load/heat but now it disappeared and I can't look at PSU fan since it's at the bottom of the case. Just want to be sure it wasn't it.
Yes, the PSU fan spins up briefly on startup, in case with RM-x at rather low RPM, about 800-1000W it looks like (i have it right here). I'm confused, are you asking about the noise when the PC starts up or under normal operation ?

Spacekeleton

Commendable
Jan 30, 2022
Yes, the PSU fan spins up briefly on startup, in case with RM-x at rather low RPM, about 800-1000W it looks like (i have it right here). I'm confused, are you asking about the noise when the PC starts up or under normal operation ?
Well than it isn't PSU it seems. If it was, noise would be present at startup too. Something made it when GPU was under 50-60% usage, 45-55 degrees with spinning fans but wires and other stuff seems clear and I could not determine what even made the sound. Didn't hear it for days while usage is same, so was wondering if PSU fan could die because of hitting something, though the case has filter for it's intake and I doubt anything could stick into grill.