Question Psu crash

Ray Plays

Prominent
Mar 19, 2019
Hey!
Tonight I just played pubg, when I heard a "bang" from my pc case, my pc turned totally off, the case, the gpu, the cpu cooler and the psu was really hot...
I waited about half hour ,then tried to start is, I turned on the psu, my rgb keyboard wich is attached to the mobo and my mouse laser is started glowing, but when I presses the power buttom nothing happened, I think my psu dead, maybe it was too weak for my pc, idk what I can do buy a better one or send my psu to a service?

My pc:
Case: genesis irid300
Mobo: dell alienware aurora r4 ms-7951
Cpu: intel i7-960 3,4ghz quad core
Gpu: powercolor red devil rx 480 8gb ddr5
Psu: njoy ayrus 500w
Ram: 6x4 ddr3 hynix 1333mhz

Typical low quality psu failure. You start by trying a new psu and then other components. As above there is a reasonable chance this killed other components.

From a quick search that psu only had 372w on the 12v rail. A good quality 400w could do that. Even by its own spec it was never a 500w psu, this was more like a poor quality 400w.

Ray Plays

Prominent
Mar 19, 2019
I bought a new Thermaltake 1200w psu and putted it in my case, luckily looks everything works again fine, nothing crashed or broken, btw I'm now doing a 2 hour test and let's see if something is wrong!

I bought a new Thermaltake 1200w psu and putted it in my case, luckily looks everything works again fine, nothing crashed or broken, btw I'm now doing a 2 hour test and let's see if something is wrong!
You know that you could've easily got away with a 550W great quality PSU on that system and probably spent a lot less.

Should've asked for recommendations, before buying the PSU... usually thermaltake doesn't have too good of a reputation in making on power supplies.

What's the exact model of that Thermaltake 1200W PSU? ... I'm just curious.

Last edited:

Ray Plays

Prominent
Mar 19, 2019
You know that you could've easily get away with a 550W great quality PSU on that system and probably spent a lot less.

Should've asked for recommendations, before buying the PSU... usually thermaltake doesn't have too good of a reputation in making on power supplies

What's the exact model of that Thermaltake 1200W PSU? ... I'm just curious.
It's a Thermaltake 1200M toughpower

Ray Plays

Prominent
Mar 19, 2019
My friend have a Reddragon rgps 600w Modular 80 plus bronze, what do u think about that? Maybe better than the thermaltake, if it is i will ask him for a trade

Ray Plays

Prominent
Mar 19, 2019
If you can return it, return it. CV series isnt great either, but not bad

RX480 are pretty power-hungry, but the toughpower gold are one of Thermaltake's not horrific models. Its not good, but eh
I can return it, thats why I ask!
So wich one will be good for me?
It's needs to be 550w at least?
I see a psu named aerocool, I never seen this before, what about that? Good or trash

Yeah... pretty mediocre unit. I'd advice to replace that. It's quite old too.
You should return it.

A 550W unit will be sufficient, but you can go the extra mile and get a 650W model... 650W from a great quality PSU will be plenty for any single GPU system.

PSU recommendations: Corsair TXM/RMx, Seasonic Focus Plus, EVGA SuperNOVA G3, SuperFlower LEADEX III.

NightHawkRMX

Illustrious
Don't just go with any EVGA unit, be sure to get one of the good ones.

EVGA has some good units and some poor units at 650w.

They have been releasing many units lately, some of which are questionable and some of which are plain bad.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS