PSU DIED | how can i check if it affected any other components

bubbleradish

Reputable
Mar 30, 2014
Hi guys!

I've had my pc for about 2 years now. Im a student so it took me a long time to save up but eventually, i collected the components and built it myself and love it to bits! I have quite alot of knowledge on pc's now and i understand 95% of the things in my pc. The first mistake i made was getting a DIRT cheap cooler master psu (i know it was stupid of me but i was running close to my budget). It has 650 watts which should be more than enough for my system but its only a 80 plus bronze certified power supply. Since i got it, iv'e made numerous upgrades such as closed loop water cooling (corsair), led corsair fans and the jump from 8gb to 16gb (hyper x). The last upgrade i made must have been the fans (3 of them) and that was about 8 months ago.

Only about 1 week ago, I came home from school and my desktop wouldn't start up. I looked inside and tried starting it up again. This time i noticed some led lights from my motherboard flashing for a split second then cutting off. No noise from the system or even a slight movement from the fans or illumination from my led lights.
I turned off the system (using power button) and plugged it out of the wall. Placed it on the floor and pulled out the power supply. My number one concern is that when/if the PSU fried, it damaged my other, more expensive components :(

I have had my pc on the floor for quite a while, too busy to fix it since but now i have some spare time and im asking the smart minds from tomshardware for help.
If anyone knows how i should go about testing my other components for damage please reply! And if you have any questions about my system dont be afraid to ask me. Thanks alot everyone!

ps. Please dont tell me to take advantage of the 5 year warranty, i want to replace my psu completely with a much better one

Specs:
i5-4590
16gb 2400mhz Hyper X Beast
B85-Pro Gamer
Asus gtx 760
240gb kingston
1tb blue western digital
NZXT H440 (white)

Power supply facts (from cooler master website)
http://www.coolermaster.com/powersupply/gaming-gxii-pro-series/gxii-pro-650w/
• High efficiency that meets 80 Plus Bronze
• 100% Japanese capacitors
• Dual filter from electromagnetic interference
• Highest grade capacitors ensure excellent holdup times
• Multiple Protection Design (OVP/UVP/OCP/OPP/SCP/OTP)
• High reliability (MTBF > 100,000 hrs)
• Honeycomb vents design to keep the power supply cool

Solution
Hi

follow TOMS faq for newbuilt PC's not posting
most steps applies to your situation

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems

do you have the original CPU heat sink + fan?
as when breadboarding motherboard outside of case may be simpler than using closed loop cooler

Once you finish this series of tests you will know if problem is dead motherboard or CPU or PSU or other components or problems

regards
Mike Barnes

George Phillips

Reputable
Jun 17, 2015
You already did a good job finding a PSU that looks great on paper; however, Cooler Master is not on many people's lists of a great manufacture of great PSUs.

The first step is to get a really good PSU, install it, and try to power up the system. I personally recommend Seasonic PSUs. Pick one rated at 600w or higher for your system.

After powering it up, if successfully, try to run the Windows and some apps, and also run some test software like Prime 95 and 3DMark to stress the system that must pass all of them to prove stability.

If you can't power it up successfully, the motherboard or more parts are likely faulty. If you can power it up and run cpu/memory stress software successfully but not 3D intensive software, the graphics card has issue and vice versa. If more than one component has issues, you will need to find good parts to test them out on another system with good running parts.

bubbleradish

Reputable
Mar 30, 2014

Thanks for the reply George but i dont think you read my text correctly.
The Cooler Master Power Supply i listed is actually my current PSU.
Im not trying to spend money on a new one straight away, especially if i know that its not the Power Supply thats causing problems

Thanks anyways!

Hi

follow TOMS faq for newbuilt PC's not posting
most steps applies to your situation

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems

do you have the original CPU heat sink + fan?
as when breadboarding motherboard outside of case may be simpler than using closed loop cooler

Once you finish this series of tests you will know if problem is dead motherboard or CPU or PSU or other components or problems

regards
Mike Barnes

Solution