[SOLVED] PSU doesn't work with modular cables

Mar 2, 2021
I have a hw1000x semi modular power supply.

Pin test works.
The semi modular portion has cpu, atx, 2 vga.

When plugged in, this powers the board and cpu and everything boots, rgb and fans light up, I can get to bios etc.

I plug in a sata cord for a hard drive and windows and all of a sudden nothing powers on.

The sata cable is from my evga 650w that I was thinking if replacing with this 1000w.

So sata cable works fine. System works fine with a different power supply.

Is this a dead psu?

Solution
Psu modular cables aren't cross compatible.

Using that cable from your old Evga you'll be creating a short somewhere, the pinouts on the psu side are likely completely different.

Only use modular cables that actually come with the psu you're using!!
Mar 2, 2021
Awesome, that's good info. Since I would need to replace the cables for this, how would I know I'm buying the right thing?

And would it still be compatible with my newer hardware?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Awesome, that's good info. Since I would need to replace the cables for this, how would I know I'm buying the right thing?

And would it still be compatible with my newer hardware?

You'll know because it'll say your exact model name. It'll work with newer hardware. Cables are still universal on the side that connects to the component; they're just not universal on the side that connects to the power supply.

Hopefully, you didn't fry the hard drive, which is very possible with the wrong modular cable.

Mar 2, 2021
You'll know because it'll say your exact model name. It'll work with newer hardware. Cables are still universal on the side that connects to the component; they're just not universal on the side that connects to the power supply.

Hopefully, you didn't fry the hard drive, which is very possible with the wrong modular cable.
Naw everything still works luckily. I currently have my old power supply going. Was intending on getting something that could power a 3080 when it becomes available, so was pre purchasing.

I have a evga 650w and with the sata cable from that plugged in nothing would power on.
I'm a bit confused; if you just bought it, why don't you have the power cables with it?

As per my question. I was asking about the new psu not the Evga one.

A hw1000x does not ring a single bell with me??
If we can find out who manufactures it we may be able to source a compatible cable.

OR (quite likely) if its a cheap generic Chinese manufa turned unit dismiss it entirely as being suitable.

I got that one second hand, it's corsair and it's older but didn't come with any cables.

That model is from late 2008, unless you know its actual history I wouldn't be using it anyway personally.

Edit - you need to post a picture of this psu, there are 3 generations of corsair hx1000, based on different platforms.

If its the most recent its probably a viable option to use and cables are easy to source.

The early models though you are going to struggle and as already stated I wouldn't use it anyway.

Last edited: