PSU expertise needed! 1st build, mid-overclocking - 1300€

Oct 30, 2018
Hello everyone,

This will be my 1st build, and I am in need of expert opinions to conclude, and finally buy it!

I've spent many hours doing researches and learning about technical aspects, which I found very amusing, but today, I need the last advice.

PSU.

Based on the following component list, I am indeed confused by the amount of power needed, in the case of mid-overclocking.

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/K3QxP3

What I've previously chosen was a Corsair RM650X 2018, but the same version of 750W is just 5€ more expensive, and I thought that it could leave some more room to play, but I am not entirely sure if I will ever use more than the half of it.

So my question in the end is, based on the component list, what is the recommended wattage for a mid-overclocker(beginner) and if there's any other PSU recommendations.

The point of this build is for gaming and programming.
Average usage time: 5h~ per day(excluding weekends).

This will be a open case, so having some good looking cables would be an extra point to consider, after quality and reliability of course.

Every help and opinion is highly appreciated!

If you find anything else that can still be upgraded/changed on the component list, feel free to add it on your comment and an explanation why!

Thanks everyone!

RM aren't that good. CXM are better when talking Corsair.

I suggest this instead:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($152.00)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 Quad Lumi 49 CFM CPU Cooler ($50.00)
Motherboard: MSI - B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC ATX AM4 Motherboard ($132.00)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($185.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($77.00)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($55.00)
Video Card: Sapphire - Radeon RX VEGA 64 8 GB NITRO+ Video Card ($474.00)
Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C Dark TG ATX Mid Tower Case ($85.00)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - PRIME Ultra Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.41 @ Newegg)
Total: $1280.39
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-19 16:37 EST-0500

Advantages:

Only slightly more (+$13)
Samsung B-Die RAM ( Best for Ryzen )
Seasonic gold rated PSU

Apply an undervolt overclock to the Sapphire Vega 64 and you'll be just fine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYYs9fEItCU

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
RM aren't that good. CXM are better when talking Corsair.
The OP is talking about a RMx, which is very good (better than CXM).

Of course the Seasonic you listed is very good as well (although over $90 if you exclude MIR, which I usually do). There are plenty of other good ~650W units around $70-80 too.

Oct 30, 2018

Thanks for your input!

Any particular reason why choosing the Seasonic? I've read that they're good, but I've also read that there are some issues.. that made me change from my initial PSU to the current one. If you've any points, where you could explain me why the Seasonic would be a better choice, or any other PSU, I would highly appreciate it!

In regards to the Ryzen, I will take a look at the mobo QVL to assure that it is compatible, at those running speeds :p

Also still in regards to changes in the build, I am willing to spend more, if I do understand what the build is gaining with it!

Thanks once again!

Cheers

Oct 30, 2018

In this situation its more an open question, in regards to all the PSUs available than to the specific ones that I've mentioned.

That is what my limited knowledge chose, but perhaps there's something better to consider out there and I am not aware!

As long its around 100€, I'm flexible if there's a reason to be!

You've mentioned that Seasonic was a very good product, is there any particular reason why? :p

Thanks

Cheers

Oct 30, 2018
Does someone have experience/knowledge in regards to Evga G3 and Seasonic Focus?

They seem to be alternative solutions too but I find it hard to distinguish them(better vs worst), compared to the RMX.