Apr 30, 2015
First of all my specs are:
AMD FX-6300
CPU Cooler: Rosewill RCX-Z1
GeForce GTX 950
CoolerMaster V650
G-Skill ripjaws 8gb
Gigabyte GA-960A-UDP (rev.2.x)
So I've been having issues with my PC freezing and sometimes shutting down in games/under load. It works better and freezes less the cooler the PC is but still doesn't fix it. I ran the OCCT CPU test and it was fine but the GPU test froze my PC the same way it does in games within 5 seconds and the PSU test completely shut down my PC like it was unplugged from the wall. I've been getting weird voltages out of my softwares like slightly under spec but still within 5-10% range. Could this be PSU or MOBO? I would think that CPU test would fail under load if they PSU wasn't giving it enough power but it passed so I'm confused..

Solution
If the voltages are vad and it happens when stressing gpu and psu i am pretty sure it's the psu. I recommend getting a new psu with a little higher wattage just to be sure. For example for most gaming pc's the bare minimum is 450 watt while i recommend 500+. It's recommended to go a little bit above the theoratical wattage needed for the psu as this fluctuates heavily.

wesleyh2003

Prominent
Nov 25, 2017
If the voltages are vad and it happens when stressing gpu and psu i am pretty sure it's the psu. I recommend getting a new psu with a little higher wattage just to be sure. For example for most gaming pc's the bare minimum is 450 watt while i recommend 500+. It's recommended to go a little bit above the theoratical wattage needed for the psu as this fluctuates heavily.

Solution

Se213

Reputable
Apr 30, 2015

My current PSU is a 650W and the one I was about to order is a 550W but it's cheaper and on PCPartPicker it's more than enough watts for my PC, should it be ok? Also is it not weird that the PSU allows the CPU to pass the test fine but freezes the PC in the GPU test? I don't know anything about PSUs so I don't mean for it to come across like I'm being smart I'm just curious

wesleyh2003

Prominent
Nov 25, 2017
The CPU doesn't consume as much power as a gpu. Thus you have less load on the psu which most likely keeps it standing. But if the gpu gets stressed which is much more power consuming the psu collapses and the pc shuts off. 550 watt should be fine. It's best to get a 80+ certified psu.

Reactions: wwyi1828

Se213

Reputable
Apr 30, 2015

Ok, I'm ordering it now, thanks for the insight. I'll mark as the answer if the problem goes away once I test it.

Se213

Reputable
Apr 30, 2015

I got a new PSU and tested it and all the tests that wrecked my PC within 5 seconds each ran for 15 mins with no issue so I think that the PSU was the problem. Thanks to everyone that helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.