Question PSU Failure? or other..

Dec 13, 2022
Alright, So for starters i built this system in july 2022. late september my system would no longer launch by simply pressing the power button. 3 out of 7 times i would have to flip the Switch of my PSU and manually cycle it in order for the system to boot. No errors, took the system to geek squad and the PSU showed green although their tech said it could still be a faulty PSU. I do have an RMA approved for my PSU but i am disabled so its hard to undo all the cable management ect, took me 6 hours my first time and was in pain for days after. So im wondering if any tech guru's could potentially help solve this or point me in a better direction thats not filled with fog. Thankyou for your time

PC Specs
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
GPU: ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX™ 3080 Ti AMP Holo
MOBO: ASUS ROG CROSSHAIR VIII DARK HERO (Bios 4201)
Memory: 2x Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3600 (set to 3200)
Storage: Samsung SSD 870 EVO 2TB
Storage: Corsair MP600 CORE
Storage: Seagate 4TB IronWolf
PSU: Corsair HX Series, HX1200, 1200 Watt

Side question * COULD this be caused by the ICUE Commander Pro and RGB LED HUB?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

To rule out the system's PSU being the issue, apart from taking the rig to GeekSquad, did you try relocating the system to another wall outlet(or multiple wall outlets in your crib) to see if your power source was the issue(likely a grounding issue)? You might also want to try and borrow a 1KW reliably built, branded PSU from a friend or neighbor and see if the issue on the same wall outlet persists.

If you think the iCUE hub is causing an issue, disconnect it from the power source and see if the issue persists. As tiresome as it may be, troubleshooting is a process of elimination until you come to the logical conclusion that "this is the reason why my hair is greyer" as opposed to pointing a finger and saying this is the end all and be all culprit.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

To rule out the system's PSU being the issue, apart from taking the rig to GeekSquad, did you try relocating the system to another wall outlet(or multiple wall outlets in your crib) to see if your power source was the issue(likely a grounding issue)? You might also want to try and borrow a 1KW reliably built, branded PSU from a friend or neighbor and see if the issue on the same wall outlet.

If you think the iCUE hub is causing an issue, disconnect it from the power source and see if the issue persists.
Thankyou for the response! I have relocated it from a surge protector to a direct power backup with surge protection, my other PC is not affected from the same wall outlet/power backup.

I can not remember if the issue began when i got my ICUE Hub or shortly before/after. but suppose i will try that before shipping out the RMA.

The problem is its hard to test, if this only occurs 1 every 3-5 times. im unsure how to properly diagnose

Reactions: Lutfij

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome! For the sake of relevance, you think you could pas son the specs to the other PC that's unaffected when on the same wall outlet? The hubs need to be tethered to an empty SATA power output from the PSU, disconnecting them should render the hubs lighting off.

Dec 13, 2022
Welcome! For the sake of relevance, you think you could pas son the specs to the other PC that's unaffected when on the same wall outlet?
Quite honestly im unsure of all the specs, its an old pre-built with an I7-7700k and a 1080 along with 32gb of gskills trident at i believe 3200 but the mobo is some ibuypower mobo
You don't mention any PC case, where the power button usually is located. Do you mean the power button (called START in the manual) located on the motherboard?
It probably doesn't explain your problem, but still raises the question.

ah my apologies!! the case im using is the "Fractal Design Meshify 2 XL "

Dec 13, 2022
Update : after removing all parts related to Corsair RGB Hubs and connectors. the issue is still occuring. every 2-3 days (i turn off pc at night then turn on in morning), in the morning the PC wont turn on by using the power button on case and i have to manually flip the switch at back of psu