Question PSU fan gets loud when gaming, PC freezes and BSOD ?

Oct 25, 2021
Hi,

This is my first post here, and I got a really annoying problem that I need help with. Recently I bought a new graphics card, the RX570 4GB, and a new 600w CM PSU for it...I got an HP 600G1 tower, so the motherboard is only made for HP PSU...so I got a 24 to 6 pin adapter for it, and installed everything and it worked. However, whenever I play high end games such as Apex Legends, my game keeps freezing and my PSU fan gets loud, then when it unfreezes it returns to normal. The freezes happen once or twice every minute, making the game unplayable. After some time, my whole pc crashed with a BSOD. I got a few errors but here's some of them: KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR/MEMORY_MANAGMENT/CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED.I've been trying to find the source of the problem for a long time. My hard disk was doing some strange noises too so I suspected it had gone bad and had bad sectors. I scanned it and it was fine, yet it sometimes had 100% util in games, so I still felt suspiscious about it. Here are some things I tried:

Uninstalling recent windows updates

Updating all drivers including graphic drivers to latest, and tried unintsalling using DDU and reinstalling

Tried installing a fresh windows.

None of those seem to work

My GPU and CPU temperatures are fine, my GPU reaches 100% at games normally, and my CPU sometimes reaches 70-80 util on high end games. I suspected that there could be a bottlneck but I asked a lot of people and they told me there isn't.

Can anyone please help me with this issue?

My PC specs:
Hp 600G1 tower
I5 4660
RX570 4GB
8GB RAM DDR3 1600 MHz
Cooler Master 600w Elite V3

Drew125

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2014
A few things that strike me right off.

1. Your on a HP computer with an upgraded PSU, this works at times and sometimes it does not.
  2. 70C to 80C on your processor is way too hot. It starts throttling around 60C to 70C. It hard shut downs around 90C. This is most likey your issue. If the processor slows way down it can cause the memory to get out of sync and causing this issue. Especially if the memory management is built in the processor.

Oct 25, 2021
A few things that strike me right off.

1. Your on a HP computer with an upgraded PSU, this works at times and sometimes it does not.
  2. 70C to 80C on your processor is way too hot. It starts throttling around 60C to 70C. It hard shut downs around 90C. This is most likey your issue. If the processor slows way down it can cause the memory to get out of sync and causing this issue. Especially if the memory management is built in the processor.
My cpu temp while gaming doesnt exceed 68-69°C
My gpu temp also doesnt exceed 74°C

Drew125

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2014
My cpu temp while gaming doesnt exceed 68-69°C
My gpu temp also doesnt exceed 74°C
Thats kinda warm, however try to run Memtest on your pc. Its built into most linux boot images, Boot the usb at the GRUB select memtest. Let it run a few cycles and see if it reports some ram is bad.

I found this as well

"TCASE
Case Temperature is the maximum temperature allowed at the processor Integrated Heat Spreader (IHS)."

At Intel's site, the Tcase value for the i5 4460 is 72.72 degrees

Quoted from: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/what-is-the-safe-temperature-value-for-i5-4460.3219813/

I know this like comparing apples to oranges, but my pc is water cooled and even playing ARK Survival Evolved my processor never gets above 50C. I have a I7 6700K.

Last edited:
Is your psu mounted to take in fresh air?
That would be best.

Under load, a PSU will heat up and the fan should spin up to keep it cool.
Normally, a psu fan should never get noisy.
I suspect that your PSU is not of good quality and is unable to cope with higher power demands from the graphics card.

No doubt you did not pay much for it.
A 1 year warranty tells all.
If I could, I would return the psu in favor of a quality 650/750w psu with a 7 to 10 year warranty.

The problem with a cheap psu is not so much noise and performance, but the prospect of damage to other parts if it should fail under load.

Oct 25, 2021
Is your psu mounted to take in fresh air?
That would be best.

Under load, a PSU will heat up and the fan should spin up to keep it cool.
Normally, a psu fan should never get noisy.
I suspect that your PSU is not of good quality and is unable to cope with higher power demands from the graphics card.

No doubt you did not pay much for it.
A 1 year warranty tells all.
If I could, I would return the psu in favor of a quality 650/750w psu with a 7 to 10 year warranty.

The problem with a cheap psu is not so much noise and performance, but the prospect of damage to other parts if it should fail under load.

Could the 24 to 6 pin adapter be the problem? Everytime I boot the pc I get an error saying 515 psu fan not detected, so I press F1 to boot normally.

Oct 25, 2021
Thats kinda warm, however try to run Memtest on your pc. Its built into most linux boot images, Boot the usb at the GRUB select memtest. Let it run a few cycles and see if it reports some ram is bad.

I found this as well

"TCASE
Case Temperature is the maximum temperature allowed at the processor Integrated Heat Spreader (IHS)."

At Intel's site, the Tcase value for the i5 4460 is 72.72 degrees

Quoted from: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/what-is-the-safe-temperature-value-for-i5-4460.3219813/

I know this like comparing apples to oranges, but my pc is water cooled and even playing ARK Survival Evolved my processor never gets above 50C. I have a I7 6700K.
I did run memtest86, nothing seemed to be out of the ordinary, and removed each stick to test it alone and no errors occured

Oct 25, 2021
I'm really not facing any other problems, I can play League of Legends with discord and spotify on, and the game would run smoothly with no freezes at all. This only happens with high graphic games. I just want to know what can cause these random BSODs.

Oct 25, 2021
Even new parts can arrive with defects.
Even, perhaps yourRX570.
Were these new to you, or new in unopened boxes?

See if you can't borrow and try a quality known good psu of sufficient power.
The psu is good quality and cooler master is a known brand. I don't think the problem is with the psu. It might be the adapter. The RX570 came with it's box unopened