[SOLVED] PSU fan is spinning at idle on Seasonic 1300w Prime Gold ?

vigorito

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2012
Purchased a Seasonic PRIME 1300W gold PSU recently for my system (Ryzen 9 5900, msi tomahawk x570 ,rtx 3080 suprim x), intending to take advantage of the hybrid mode for silence at idle/low load. However, when the PSU is placed in hybrid mode the fan spins up every 10minutes or so for about 5-7 minutes when the system is idling creating a rather disruptive experience, given the rest of the system is effectively silent,case is lian li 011 dynamic,what i have notice that in the box was only 1x8pin cable (8 wires) and 6x 6+2 pcie cables with 6 wires,my last gx 1000w from seasonic has pcie 3x8pin 8 wires,i used that 2 pcie 6+2 cables (6 wires+1x8pin cable 8 wires for the gpu,could that cause the fan spinning in idle because of some issue with the power on pcis slots

Last edited:
Solution
You didn't need a 1300W unit for your build unless you're looking at a multi GPU setup. As for the cables, they look about right;
71+T5hpDXML._AC_SL1280_.jpg

When you're system is idling, bring up Windows 10's Task manager and keep an eye on resource usage. On that note, it's a good idea to have HWMonitor opened up as well. You will need to mention the rest of your specs as well in order for us to see the bigger picture.
Purchased a Seasonic PRIME 1300W gold PSU recently for my system (Ryzen 9 5900, msi tomahawk x570 ,rtx 3080 suprim x), intending to take advantage of the hybrid mode for silence at idle/low load. However, when the PSU is placed in hybrid mode the fan spins up every 10minutes or so for about minutes when the system is idling creating a rather disruptive experience, given the rest of the system is effectively silent,case is lian li 011 dynamic,what i have notice that in the box was only 1x8pin cable (8 wires) and 6x 6+2 pcie cables with 6 wires,my last gx 1000w from seasonic has pcie 3x8pin 8 wires,i used other 2 pcie cables for the gpu,could that cause the fan spinning in idle because of some issue with the power on pcis slots
Is your gpu cable configuration like this?:
download.axd

Lutfij

Titan
You didn't need a 1300W unit for your build unless you're looking at a multi GPU setup. As for the cables, they look about right;
71+T5hpDXML._AC_SL1280_.jpg

When you're system is idling, bring up Windows 10's Task manager and keep an eye on resource usage. On that note, it's a good idea to have HWMonitor opened up as well. You will need to mention the rest of your specs as well in order for us to see the bigger picture.

Solution

vigorito

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2012
I bought it for future proof,i know which cables i got in the box :)

i just say in prime 1300w gold was only one pcie 6+2 pin cable with 8 wires,the rest of 6 pcie cables are 6+2 with 6 wires

configuration is:

5900x
msi tomahawk x570 wi fi
rtx 3080 suprim x
arctic liquid freezer ii 360
6x be quiet 120 fan.3 bottom intake,3 side intake
case lian li 011 d

EDIT: there is nothinh going on in a task manager everything is very low,and yes right now fan is spinnig

Last edited:

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
Welcome to the world of Seasonic pseudo-high-end PSUs with a dumb fan controllers and not very quiet fan curves unless you go for Platinum\Titanium models, whereas everyone else in this price range already uses an MCU for fan control so you can program it whatever you want.