Question PSU fan issue. Enermax EGN1200P power supply unit

allidsarebusy

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2016
Hi guys, i have following issue.

About a day ago, I received a brand new power supply unit, model Enermax EGN1200P.

Everything works fine, but the PSU has strange behavior. The fan keeps starting every 30-60 seconds. It starts very slowly at first, with abrupt movement and makes a ticking sound. Then it starts spinning for about 5 seconds and stops again. This happens every 1.5 to 2 minutes. It shouldn't even be starting under less than 60% load, and my PC is idle. Is it messed up, or is there something I can do about it?

Thanks a lot in advance.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ardLezvvms0

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
That unit has Enermax D.F.R. function, whereby when toggled via D.F. button at the back, the fan should spin 20 seconds in normal way, then stops and 20 seconds spinning in reverse. Idea is to keep the fan (or PSU) dust free.

Scroll down a bit to read about it;
PSU specs: https://www.enermax.com/en/products/platigemini

Since your PSU fan acts erratically, i suggest you contact Enermax directly and ask them what is going on. Could be that the "brain" of this D.F.R. function is scrambled.

Also, is there any diff when you have the D.F. switch toggled on, vs it toggled off?

allidsarebusy

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2016
@Aeacus,

Thanks a lot for the quick answer.

That cleaning thing happens every time you switch the PC on. Basically, it spins extremely fast and loud in both directions and then turns off. The switch at the back of the PSU works like a linear switch on a mechanical keyboard, and when pressed, it simply performs that cleaning routine again. So you can't really switch that function off in any way.

I think they've made it in such a way because they advertise this PSU for workstations as well, so you can perform that cleaning routine without switching your PC off. IMHO.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aeacus

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I think they've made it in such a way because they advertise this PSU for workstations as well, so you can perform that cleaning routine without switching your PC off. IMHO.
IMO, it's just a gimmick. More like marketing to get more sales. And to jack up PSU's price.

Since when PSU fan doesn't spin at all, until 60% load is on PSU, there is no dust entering the PSU regardless. And when dust inside the PSU is something problematic one expects to face, one should look over their cleanliness as a whole, since PC itself will then be filled with dust.

E.g server park PSUs, those are very loud and rarely, if ever, are servers shut down for dust cleaning. Instead, the environment itself is kept clean, so that there aren't any dust in the first place to enter the system.

As for home user, it doesn't take much to power down the PC and clean internals, including PSU, with compressed air 1-2 times a year.

Reactions: allidsarebusy

allidsarebusy

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2016
@Aeacus,

That's true, but to be fair, I didn't even bother looking at that function when selecting this PSU. I was more interested in energy efficiency (Platinum) and just having a good, silent, and modern PSU with a bit of headroom and that new connection in case I switch to Nvidia in the coming years.

I've got everything except the silent part. XD

I've already sent a letter to Enermax, but something tells me that this PSU is not supposed to act like that.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I was more interested in energy efficiency (Platinum) and just having a good, silent, and modern PSU with a bit of headroom and that new connection in case I switch to Nvidia in the coming years.
If so, then why go with Enermax? :unsure: Seasonic, among few others, offers the highest efficiency there is, namely;
PRIME TX ATX 3 with 80+ Titanium efficiency, either 1.3kW or 1.6kW version, specs: https://seasonic.com/atx3-prime-tx/
But if you want to go all out wattage wise, then get PRIME PX ATX 3 (80+ Platinum) at 2.2kW, specs: https://seasonic.com/atx3-prime-px-2200/

Note: if you're from USA, common wall socket at 15A, maxes out at 1800W, so, 2200W unit, at full delivery, would burn the house down (electrical wires inside the walls or socket itself catches fire).
I live in Europe and we have Schuko sockets rated for 16A, so max would be 3840W. Plenty of headroom to run 2.2kW unit. :)

I'm personally running two PRIME TX-650 (80+ Titanium) PSUs between 2 PCs and those are dead silent. Oldest PRIME i have, is now ~8 years old, while still running solid. And PSU having 12 years of warranty, speaks volumes of it's reliability.

My 3rd PC is powered by Seasonic Focus PX-550 (80+ Platinum). 10 years of warranty with that one.
If interested, full specs with pics in my sig.

Last edited:
Reactions: allidsarebusy