[SOLVED] PSU Fan Molex to SATA for powering fan controller after shutdown

kix66

Prominent
Dec 30, 2019
Hello!

I got a new PC case (be quiet silent base 601) and it has 3-step fan controller which is powered via the SATA. My PSU (be quiet power zone 650W) has a feature of running the fans for a few minutes after the OS has been shut down (if the fans are plugged into the special connector provided by the PSU, look at the photo). These provide the voltage of 4,24V. It has three of these.

This is how it looks like.

This left me with an idea - is this possible to power the fan controller via molex to SATA adapter to still get the benefit of the fans running after the OS shutdown?

Solution
And that's what I'm asking about - can I use this molex (from the PSU fan cable) connector to power the fan controller? I would need an adapter for that, but is it possible and more importantly safe? After all the PSU provides a different voltage from the fan controller (PSU provides 4,24V and the fan controller provides 5V at its lowest speed level).
haven't really looked into this,where do you get that from? Can try, worst thing that might happen is that fan controller stops working,but doubt that, maybe would not be able to power fans fully,mean run even lower speed than at 5V if they will speed up at that lower voltage. Then again since this feature is applied to casefans don't se why not.

Would need that...

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
No the fans running after shutdown is run by the controller to which the fan cables are attached, not by the molex cable/connectors which are just to power the fans i assume.

Maybe (think this is the case) molex connectors on the cables are only for if you want to use fans that are powered by molex connectors.

kix66

Prominent
Dec 30, 2019
I feel like you misunderstood me and maybe I have asked the question in a little bit confusing way, so I will quote and clarify.

No the fans running after shutdown is run by the controller to which the fan cables are attached, not by the molex cable/connectors which are just to power the fans i assume.

No, I can power my fans in three ways:
  • by connecting them to MOBO
  • by connecting them to case front panel fan controller (powered by SATA). This controller just allows the fans (that are connected to it) to run at three different speeds (by providing different voltages)
  • by connecting them to PSU cables, like the ones in the photo (which allows the fans to run for few minutes after shutdown)

The voltages that each of the options provide:
  • MOBO: 10,8V
  • PSU: 4,24V
  • Front-panel fan controller:
- speed 1: 5V​
- speed 2: 10,8V​
- speed 3: 12,2V​

Maybe (think this is the case) molex connectors on the cables are only for if you want to use fans that are powered by molex connectors.

And that's what I'm asking about - can I use this molex (from the PSU fan cable) connector to power the fan controller? I would need an adapter for that, but is it possible and more importantly safe? After all the PSU provides a different voltage from the fan controller (PSU provides 4,24V and the fan controller provides 5V at its lowest speed level).

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
haven't really looked into this,where do you get that from? Can try, worst thing that might happen is that fan controller stops working,but doubt that, maybe would not be able to power fans fully,mean run even lower speed than at 5V if they will speed up at that lower voltage. Then again since this feature is applied to casefans don't se why not.

Would need that molex->sata adapter.

Why do you want this btw? Just let pc come to idle and can look at temps with hwinfo for instance,after idle and good temps just shut down pc, residual heat shouldn't matter that much.

Reactions: kix66
Solution

kix66

Prominent
Dec 30, 2019
Thanks for the reply!
where do you get that from
If you mean the voltages - I've measured them.
Why do you want this btw? Just let pc come to idle
I was just curious if this would be possible. :D I've been switching the pc case and while I was mounting parts into it this idea just came to my mind. So I've measured all the voltages and I was quite unsure if this would be possible.

Now with my question answered I can sleep peacefully. :LOL::sleep: Thanks!

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
The after shutdown fan feature is imo primarely something that was usefull when psu's we're still mounted in top of cases when heat might be trapped into the psu. With psu's mounted at the bottom should they be less warm and will that have effect on how the feature works anyway.