[SOLVED] PSU fan replacement

Feb 6, 2021
Hello everyone,

Recently there was a burning smell coming out of my power supply and yesterday night i realized that it was coming out from PSU fan. it wasnt spinning almost at all and as long as the pc works i could smell the burning wires-circuits. my PSU is Zalman ZM700-LX. And the stock fan of the PSU is Yate Loon D14SH-12.
I ordered a new 2pin 14cm 12V fan because i cant really afford to buy a new 700W PSU right now. So my question is; Both fans are 12V 14cm. But stock fan is 0.70A(GP) i dont know what GP means right there. And the new fan ive ordered is only 0.18A. does that amp difference mean a lot or? is there some kinda risk to damage my other components? or should i be worried about my PSU?

Zalman ZM700-LX
At least it has independent voltage regulation but is's not a good PSU. Not good enough to replace the fan.
Both fans are 12V 14cm
The new fan is also a 2300 rpm fan, because that's what the original is?
or should i be worried about my PSU?
Yes
i cant really afford to buy a new 700W PSU right now.
But with such a low end PSU you probably don't need 700w. What's your CPU and GPU?

Last edited:

AntonyLovric

Distinguished
...aside from what everyone above mentioned.

The old fan is .70 A (700 milliamps) the new fan is .180 (180 milliamps). Even if you did replace it, the new fan is most likely too weak compared to the original fan. The old fan is almost 4 times more powerful. (New fan won't have the same speed / torque which means less CFM and more cooked components.)

You could look at lubricating the old fan, there are a bunch of youtube videos that show you how. Disassemble, peel back the sticker, remove the plug, put in a drop or two of oil, spin the fan by hand, reassemble. That might make the fan run faster for a while. (consider it life support for the PSU).

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2021
At least it has independent voltage regulation but is's not a good PSU. Not good enough to replace the fan.

The new fan is also a 2300 rpm fan, because that's what the original is?

Yes

But with such a low end PSU you probably don't need 700w. What's your CPU and GPU?
i wasnt thinking clearly back when i was typing. yes i dont actually need a 700W. i have i5 7600k, msi armor rx570 8gb, rog strix z270h mobo. would a 500W be enough?

Feb 6, 2021
By the way thanks for all of the replies. Also since you guys are here, if you dont mind or its not against the forum rules, im gonna make a shortlist of budget PSUs that i can afford in a short time and if you guys can give your insights about them, i would be grateful. i wanna do this because i thought my PSU was great :D

Thermaltake Litepower 450W APFC(it also has the 550W model)
Cooler Master Elite V4 500W
Thermaltake TR2 S 550W
Sharkoon SHP Bronze 500W
Corsair CP-9020210-EU CV550

i know there arent many options. in turkey we cant reach all of the brands out there :D these are the ones that i can just go tomorrow and buy one.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2021
O yeah. It's perfectly running on a decent 400w PSU. Powerconsumption doesn't get over 270w.

What's your location and can you provide a weblink to a couple of stores?
i live in turkey. https://www.vatanbilgisayar.com/thermaltake-corsair/guc-kaynaklari-power/?opf=p22282,p22283,p22284/ and https://www.itopya.com/bilgisayar-parcalari/ana-parcalar/power-supply-psu/ vatan is more like BestBuy in the US. at least its like what BestBuy used to be :D itopya is more like newegg? i believe :D also maybe https://www.amazon.com.tr/s?k=power+supply&__mk_tr_TR=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&ref=nb_sb_noss_1 this could work
my budget is around 400-600 turkish liras

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2021
alright. i will consider the msi but its above my budget. thank you a lot. btw is it safe to run my pc without the PSU fan if im not gonna play any games or do anything that will include any kinda power consumption?

TRENDING THREADS