[SOLVED] PSU Fan Spins and Stops Repeatedly

May 9, 2021
Hello, new here. I bought a HP Omen 30L with AMD 5600G, HyperX memory, SSD storage, 3060 graphics card.

The desktop is running well but there is a sound I keep on hearing hear every now and then. I realized that it's coming from the power supply unit. I hear it every few seconds, mainly when I do something on the computer, like open a folder, scroll through a webpage, click on start menu.

Then I saw the fan inside the back of the PSU keeps on spinning and stopping for microseconds, thus the sound. Like I mentioned, it happen whenever I do something on the computer, even sometimes when the pc is idle. I can't seem to control it.

It's a cooler master 500W Bronze PSU.

Is this an issue? Is there a way to make it stop? Please advise.

Solution
You are correct, the label says lite-on, but there is a cooler master logo on it. Unfortunately, that's the best angle I could get given other hardware.

Dont' need to see the label's details, but something looks kinda weird here and I want to see the PSU in context. The label is only occasionally on the top of the PSU, but the side you're showing is so large that it's unlikely that's actually the side of the PSU. It's almost as if someone peeled off a label and pasted it on the top of a Cooler Master PSU.
May 9, 2021
If your PSU's fan is temperature controlled, the fan has no fixed RPM, its speed will vary depending on the PSU load or temperature.

The fan is idle, almost all the time. It tries to spin and then stops, like I said it happens on simple actions like opening a folder. This spin/stop cycle is causing the sound every couple of seconds or so when the pc is being used. It's not too loud but loud enough in a quiet room to be very annoying.

Why would it try to spin when there is no load (0~1%) or temperature is quite low (<35C)?

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
How the hell is that Cooler Master :) It's a Lite-On, by the looks of it, doesn't even have a DC-DC so probably some rather old design. Don't expect much from it and i wouldn't pair it with RTX3060. Yes, prebuilds are like that. If you have a warranty on this thing you can just keep it like this, and then replace the PSU.
Edit: ah, i see, it has a Cooler Master logo on it lol.

Last edited:
May 9, 2021
How the hell is that Cooler Master :) It's a Lite-On, by the looks of it, doesn't even have a DC-DC so probably some rather old design. Don't expect much from it and i wouldn't pair it with RTX3060. Yes, prebuilds are like that. If you have a warranty on this thing you can just keep it like this, and then replace the PSU.
Edit: ah, i see, it has a Cooler Master logo on it lol.

Yes, there a logo on top of it.

DSzymborski

Titan
You are correct, the label says lite-on, but there is a cooler master logo on it. Unfortunately, that's the best angle I could get given other hardware.

Dont' need to see the label's details, but something looks kinda weird here and I want to see the PSU in context. The label is only occasionally on the top of the PSU, but the side you're showing is so large that it's unlikely that's actually the side of the PSU. It's almost as if someone peeled off a label and pasted it on the top of a Cooler Master PSU.

Solution

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
Well, that's really confusing. Do you have a wider shot? Because that's the label of a Lite-On.
It's legit, HP just wanted to make some marketing collab : https://landing.coolermaster.com/pages/hpomen/
Not that it makes any sense, Cooler Master aren't exactly big guys in the PSUs world, in addition to the fact that they don't manufacture stuff anyway.
So i guess they (HP) use whatever they were using before and just slapped a Cooler Master logo on it.
A 750W PSU in the prebuild with RTX3080 is manufactured by Delta for example.

May 9, 2021
Thank you all so much for your comments. I have decided to return the desktop with faulty PSU and get another one, a slightly different model which comes with a better PSU.