[SOLVED] PSU for 3080

Mar 13, 2021
Hi, I have a 700W 80+ bronze PSU with power efiiciency higher than 85%. Will it work for cheaper versions of 3080 like Ventus 3X?

Solution
Well, my friend is using exactly the same PSU for Gigabyte 3080 without any problems. I think I'll buy 3080 and not use 100% of it because I dont need it. Do you think 700W will be enough for arround 80% usage of 3080 power?

ee00-testing2.jpg

As you're asserting that the 3080 is running on the PSU without any problems, could you share the readouts you and/or your friend got with a 3080 at load, which are necessary to make such a determination? The 3070/3080 can be very power spike-y, to a degree that otherwise OK PSUs can sometimes fail (like the FSP-made EVGA PSUs). It would be useful to have information if this PSU is handling the transients well.
The psu is meh, not the best, but not the worst.
MSI recommends a 750W powersupply, but you could probably get away with a good 700W good one.
Hmmm.
Idk what to tell you.
The psu isnt bad, but its not a top of the line one, its on tier C on this list, which doesnt mean it should be really paired with a 3080.
What is your budget for a new one?
Dont expect to buy a good one below $100-$125.
I heard about SilentiumPC, i've been eyeing their Signum SG1V EVO TG ARGB case for a while.

Mar 13, 2021
The psu is meh, not the best, but not the worst.
MSI recommends a 750W powersupply, but you could probably get away with a good 700W good one.
Hmmm.
Idk what to tell you.
The psu isnt bad, but its not a top of the line one, its on tier C on this list, which doesnt mean it should be really paired with a 3080.
What is your budget for a new one?
Dont expect to buy a good one below $100-$125.
I heard about SilentiumPC, i've been eyeing their Signum SG1V EVO TG ARGB case for a while.
Well, my friend is using exactly the same PSU for Gigabyte 3080 without any problems. I think I'll buy 3080 and not use 100% of it because I dont need it. Do you think 700W will be enough for arround 80% usage of 3080 power?

The fact that your friend uses it with a 3080 with no problems, means nothing. It can fail at any time.
If you can afford a 3080 you can afford a decent psu to pair it. I would not trust a mid tier PSU with a top of the line gpu.

Reactions: Dj0gany
The fact that your friend uses it with a 3080 with no problems, means nothing. It can fail at any time.
If you can afford a 3080 you can afford a decent psu to pair it. I would not trust a mid tier PSU with a top of the line gpu.
"The fact that your friend uses it with a 3080 with no problems, means nothing. It can fail at any time."
I found that out the hard way : )

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

ee00-testing2.jpg

As you're asserting that the 3080 is running on the PSU without any problems, could you share the readouts you and/or your friend got with a 3080 at load, which are necessary to make such a determination? The 3070/3080 can be very power spike-y, to a degree that otherwise OK PSUs can sometimes fail (like the FSP-made EVGA PSUs). It would be useful to have information if this PSU is handling the transients well.

Reactions: Dj0gany
Solution