PSU for 5820K & Single 980 Ti?

6KywaZOX

Reputable
Jul 31, 2015
PC Part Picker shows this rig will use 461W. I'm not sure where they got that numbers but it's probably from the manufacturer's specs for idle power consumption?

The charts I looked at showed that if the chip is overclocked to 4.5GHz, it could draw up to 318W under load. The 980 Ti drew 428W maximum under load. Together, those numbers a little over 740W.

Should I get a 760W PSU, or is it not this simple? Am I missing anything? I'm not sure how the motherboard (Asus X99-A) or RAM (Kingston Fury 2133), or the fans (6 or so 120MM) would change that number. Well, I can say that I will have the fans roaring, that's guaranteed. I will not be overclocking the GPU, though.

The options seem to be either an AX750, or an AX860. While I'm at it I may as well ask if digital PSU's confer any major benefit, as originally I was planning on getting an AX860i (when I didn't know what the "i" meant). I tried reading an article about it but since I am a layman and not an electrical engineer, gots no clue what means.

Solution
I`ll start with the CPU. Since you are overclocking the CPU I assume u are going with WC. While 200-250W would be an average for 5820k clocked this high 300W is pretty much safe. Regarding the 980 ti, one with stock OC and watercooled would require another 300W. With watercooling (pump+additional fans) 150W for HDDs, SSDs, MB, RAM and whatever would be there is kind of safe again. However I do not advise pushing PSU to 100% fo everyday use, even the top tier ones. As you are looking at the best PSUs on the market I guess the price isnt a concern. The difference between AX and AXi is the the latter has digital controller so that you can hook it up to a USB header on MB and have read out of few things like efficiency, power draw, and...

Esemes

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015
I`ll start with the CPU. Since you are overclocking the CPU I assume u are going with WC. While 200-250W would be an average for 5820k clocked this high 300W is pretty much safe. Regarding the 980 ti, one with stock OC and watercooled would require another 300W. With watercooling (pump+additional fans) 150W for HDDs, SSDs, MB, RAM and whatever would be there is kind of safe again. However I do not advise pushing PSU to 100% fo everyday use, even the top tier ones. As you are looking at the best PSUs on the market I guess the price isnt a concern. The difference between AX and AXi is the the latter has digital controller so that you can hook it up to a USB header on MB and have read out of few things like efficiency, power draw, and ability to set few things. If you are interested is such stuff i can provide you some more detailed information. The difference in the quality of those PSUs are very minor so unless you are interested in such things go for the AX860 non i version.

PS. I would also consider EVGA supernova 850W P(10 years warranty)

Solution

6KywaZOX

Reputable
Jul 31, 2015
Actually the digital controller sounds interesting. I'm always game for more readouts. I ended up going with the HX850i, ultimately. That 10 year warranty was really tempting, but I'll get a 7 year with Corsair, digital controller, and shave a couple bucks off compared to the alternative choices.