PSU for 970

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raniyasa

Honorable
Dec 10, 2013
Well as it says in the title I'm getting a gtx 970 and a new PSU. I don't really have a limit to the budget but I want the best bang for the buck. I will probably go for SLI later so I need it to have enough power for that as well. I want a quiet and stable one that will last a couple of years.
Thank you.

Solution
Well it really is a question of how much wattage you need. What's components do you currently use?

What i suggest is a modular supply to keep things neat and tidy.

In my sig you will see what components i used in my build. I'm using a Corsair CX750M supply and drawing only 400-500W of power while stress testing (I use a wall socket power meter). 750W supply is going to be plenty enough for a 970 build unless you have some other crazy components to go with it. CPU for example.... we know some AMD cpu's have a much higher TDP then intel's etc etc

I would avoid the TX750 as it's not a modular power supply...I guess that's personal preference but at the slight extra cost, wouldn't you rather have something that's neater and easier to...
This is a debate, no need to go using inappropriate language and criticising users, criticise the post.

The CXM PSU's use 1 Japanese capacitor, that's it. It is rated for 85 degrees c.

I am not saying it won't run the setup, i am saying it is not recommended to do so with overclocking. I am not to be held responsible for a power supply taking out another system.

mosti

Honorable
May 26, 2013

I don't see any inappropriate language...perhaps you're just mad you have no actual evidence that this is a bad power supply. "I am not saying it won't run the setup".... then shutup? He Is asking for a psu to run a 970 and I've given him a great bang for buck one. This "debate" is over as you don't bring anything usefull to it but your "capacitor" opinion which you no doubt read on a forum where someone read from a forum etc etc.

Like I said before, reviews for this power supply are nothing but good. Both expert and user reviews.

Also....1 Japanese capacitor? You do realise they are good quality capacitors right? The Taiwanese capacitors are the inferior product. 85ºC? Oh damn, so inferior to a supply with a 90ºC rated capacitor at double the price.

I just hope people start realizing the importance of caps over modularism, no point in debating over that. It's an obvious fact that you won't get any benefit with less cables when the PSU itself finds it hard to support the system. OP has chosen his PSU, EVGA G2 750W, extremely high quality, much much better than CXM, end of story.

Status
Not open for further replies.