Question PSU For AsRock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming D 16G OC

aveatquevale

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2013
First off,

Is this a 'durable' card ? I intend to use it for a long time.

My current PSU is an MSI MPG A650GF 650W 80 PLUS GOLD which i bought around 2 months ago.

Rest of the specs are:

i5 6600

Z170a mobo

2x8 gb 2400 mhz DDR4 ram

2 tb nvme ssd

500 gb hdd

If I get the AsRock RX 6800 XT will I be fine with this PSU, or is it absolutely not recommended ?

Yes I know specs are a mismatch, yet I might move to a ryzen 5 5600 or a 7600 a bit further down the line.

Thanks in advance !

That PSU isn't terrible, The 6800xt consumes around 350 watts, I'd say 370ish for your card to play it safe, and your CPU consumes 75watts at worst, 450 watts on the higher end of things with just them 2 components, plenty of room for other devices, The power requirements are based on the worst case scenario, and it accounts for somewhat crappy units.

Some will disagree with me , and I really don't care. I'd run it, Sure upgrade it sooner than later, but I wouldn't be afraid to run all your games and stuff in that current config. but its always your decision, Im sure a quick google search will also have some people successfully running a 6800xt on a 650 watt or even lower as long as its of decent quality.

I'd definitely look into at least an 800 or 850 for your later upgrade though.

joan16v

Prominent
Jan 27, 2021
Remember to buy a PSU of a decent brand like Corsair, Seasonic, Bitfenix or BeQuiet. And better if it's 80+ Gold, to be efficient and consume less energy from the wall.

aveatquevale

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2013
That PSU isn't terrible, The 6800xt consumes around 350 watts, I'd say 370ish for your card to play it safe, and your CPU consumes 75watts at worst, 450 watts on the higher end of things with just them 2 components, plenty of room for other devices, The power requirements are based on the worst case scenario, and it accounts for somewhat crappy units.

Some will disagree with me , and I really don't care. I'd run it, Sure upgrade it sooner than later, but I wouldn't be afraid to run all your games and stuff in that current config. but its always your decision, Im sure a quick google search will also have some people successfully running a 6800xt on a 650 watt or even lower as long as its of decent quality.

I'd definitely look into at least an 800 or 850 for your later upgrade though.

What happens if i move to a ryzen 5 5600 or 7600, and an amd mobo to go along with them ?

dangle1

Prominent
Jan 22, 2023
For a real world data point, I can tell you that my son built a machine around this card that he is really happy with so far.

He just built it a few weeks ago near the beginning of December, so I can't speak to durability.

We saw the 800W recommendation on the ASRock website as well. That said, he's running it just fine off a Corsair RM750x. Given that he opted for a 12400 CPU, a high quality 750W PSU seemed reasonable. And FWIW the box it came in had a 750W recommendation, speaking to the fact that ASRock provides a blanket PSU recommendation, but there's no single correct answer and a tendency to aim higher rather than lower.

Note that for some reason this card has three 8 pin power connectors, so check to see if your PSU can accommodate this.

When he was testing with FurMark, max GPU power use was just under 300W, and the card was essentially silent.

I think for anyone gaming in 1440p who doesn't care as much about ray tracing, the 6800xt is a great price-to-performance choice (depending on where the daily pricing has wandered).

First off,

Is this a 'durable' card ? I intend to use it for a long time.
I've never really heard of one brand of card being more "durable" than another to be honest with you. I've used Albatron, XFX, Palit, Sapphire and Gigabyte with no notable difference between them when it comes to longevity.
My current PSU is an MSI MPG A650GF 650W 80 PLUS GOLD which i bought around 2 months ago.

Rest of the specs are:

i5 6600

Z170a mobo

2x8 gb 2400 mhz DDR4 ram

2 tb nvme ssd

500 gb hdd

If I get the AsRock RX 6800 XT will I be fine with this PSU, or is it absolutely not recommended ?

Yes I know specs are a mismatch, yet I might move to a ryzen 5 5600 or a 7600 a bit further down the line.

Thanks in advance !
You should be fine because using your specs...

Newegg's PSU calculator recommends a PSU between 600 and 699W.
Cooler Master's PSU calculator recommends a 471W PSU.
BeQuiet's PSU calculator says your max power requirement is 505W.

So basically, you won't be in your PSU's highest efficiency band but you won't be overloading it either, especially since it's an 80+Gold.

Reactions: aveatquevale