PSU for fx6300/760gtx + bit of OCing

Iluvatar21

Honorable
Dec 21, 2013
The Corsair VS Series 650W or Corsair Builder Series CX600? The VS is 85+ while the CX is 82+ but I've heard the CX is better quality. I will most likely OC using turbo core for the cpu and afterburner for the gpu; I might reach for 4.5Ghz and get a better gpu in the future.

What do you recommend and why?

Solution
either... there practically the same thing, may aswell go with the VS for the extra 50W as it means less stress on the psu as you have more headroom and its operating at a lower percentage of usage in comparison to the 600w

fields224

Reputable
Mar 9, 2014
either... there practically the same thing, may aswell go with the VS for the extra 50W as it means less stress on the psu as you have more headroom and its operating at a lower percentage of usage in comparison to the 600w

Solution

Iluvatar21

Honorable
Dec 21, 2013

I decided to go for the CX one. Better quality over wattage. And I've calculated 600w will be enough.

The VS Series are fixed input voltage only (i.e. 220V ~ 240V AC Input Only) and are sold in those parts of the world with household voltage that is in that range. It uses a lower quality capacitor on the primary side. It doesn't have any 80 PLUS Certification.

The CX Series are 100V ~ 240V AC Input and are sold worldwide. It uses a higher quality Japanese made capacitor on its primary side. It has 80 PLUS BRONZE Certification.

Both use cheap sleeve bearing cooling fans although the CX Series are slightly quieter.

When both use 230VAC input the VS is more efficient at 10% and 20% load but he CX Series are more efficient at 50% and 100% load levels.

The CX Series has longer output cables.

Both don't meet ATX12V specs for holdup time of 16ms. This is important if you use the PSU on a UPS. If the holdup time is too short then the UPS will not have sufficient time to switch over to battery backup mode and the system will have lost power.