Apr 26, 2018
I'm having hp elitedesk 800 g1 with these specs :
Hp 800 G1
Core i5 4th 4670
8G Ram DDR3
Vga intel HD 4600
345w psu
And i'm willing to get gtx 1060 3gb
Now i want to know if the card will fit into the case of hp elitedesk 800 g1 ??
Will i have problems becuz of the psu??
and i want to hear ur opinions about this rig
Thanks

Solution

Not even close:

i5-4670: 84W TDP
GTX 1060: 120W TDP

That comes to 204W.

Maybe, at most, 100 watts for the MB, fans, Optical Drive and HDD, etc etc. Then again, the optical and hdd are never really going to run full-tilt simultaneoulsy while the CPU and GPU are being maxxed out.

Well, knowing the specs of the power supply will let us know whether you need to get an upgraded power supply.

Also, is this the tower version, the small form factor, or the ultra-slim desktop verison?

Just found a datasheet here...

HIs power usage will be under 200W at full load.

If OP just "gets anything" then they'll probably end up with something of poor value when something with better value could have been available.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I want to say the 345W PSU existing, if it has the 6-pin PCIe power connector, should be sufficient.

BUT - sometimes the power supplies were a little funny in how they provided power in OEM systems such as Dell, HP, etc.,

If it's possible to get a picture of the power specifications, or just copy them down and tell us, that would be helpful. It should list how many amps on the 12V rail(s), on the 5V rail, etc. There may or may not be more than one listing for the 12V rail.

There might also be things such as "Max output (whatever) watts on 12V" or "Max total output" indications as well.

I have no interest of arguing semantics. I'm only interested in truthful information on actual power usage. a GTX 1060 will use 120W. A CPU like the I5 4670 will use ~55W when gaming. The rest of the system will be a very minor amount of power, around 25W. Heavy load is going to be around 200W with a system like this.

You can find GTX 1060 power usage in the Tomshardware review here https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-pascal,4679-6.html

Nope. Cooler Master has specific interests in overestimating power consumption so people buy higher wattage power supplies. It's all money and business.

There is no power calculator that's truly an accurate representation. I will say the pcpartpicker one is pretty good but there are still over-approximations. Best way to do it is to research reviews, look at power data, and use pencil and paper or a computer to sum up the numbers.

electro_neanderthal

Respectable
Jan 22, 2018

Let me repeat myself since you missed it the first time, with caps to help you see:

"Anything WITH an 80+ BRONZE rating or higher AND from a REPUTABLE company... (examples included)."

That is certainly not "get's anything".

Also, the EVGA 1060 3GB with only one fan recommends a 400W minimum PSU for the entire system. I will admit to my initial suggestion of 500W being overkill, but eh - that's just personal recommendation. Still, I'd at least go with the video card recommendations, even if it's a bit over-the-top.

Those reputable companies all have 80+ Bronze units many consider to be poor power supplies. So if OP gets anything, provided he is following those conditions, OP can very well still end up with a power supply of poor value if OP does not look into a PSU that's more, err, fine-tailored to their needs.

electro_neanderthal

Respectable
Jan 22, 2018

Every reputable company has it's duds, and by now a lot of those duds are history. Not saying there still aren't any, or won't be in the future, but it's still far better to go by what I said than grabbing something from a cheap, no-name or non-reputable brand.

I mention going for reputable brands because some lesser companies fake their 80+ certification by plastering a sticker that says it provides more power than the internals were certified for. Like a 450W PSU certified for Bronze being advertized as a 500W unit certified for bronze.

Here's an official testing list if one wants to make sure, but it's rather long. https://www.plugloadsolutions.com/80PlusPowerSuppliesDetail.aspx?id=0&type=2

Getting back on topic with the OP:
I still recommend whatever the video card specs say for a minimum recommended wattage. If that 345W unit is enough for whatever specs the video card demands, and it's not too old, then by all means I think it's better to keep it.

But - and the reason I recommend getting a new one - knowing the reputation of PSUs in pre-builts, and guessing the age of the OP's system, I'd say it's safer to get a new one, since it's probably not gonna last long - especially with the extra load.

Now, as for fitting inside that case... it's got an outer width of 6.7 inches. So a card that fits within 5.7 inches width should be fine... as for length... a card that came pre-installed with that case was the HD 8490, which is 6.1 inches long. But the best way to check is to open the case, use a ruler, and see how much space there is. Then just browse various cards and find their measurements in the specifications.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador

Not even close:

i5-4670: 84W TDP
GTX 1060: 120W TDP

That comes to 204W.

Maybe, at most, 100 watts for the MB, fans, Optical Drive and HDD, etc etc. Then again, the optical and hdd are never really going to run full-tilt simultaneoulsy while the CPU and GPU are being maxxed out.

Well, knowing the specs of the power supply will let us know whether you need to get an upgraded power supply.

Also, is this the tower version, the small form factor, or the ultra-slim desktop verison?

Just found a datasheet here: http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/press_kits/2013/HPDiscover2013/HPEliteDesk800_datasheet.pdf

I am assuming you have the tower, then - because that's the only one that lists a power supply greater than 300 watts, though, in this case, it's 320W rather than 345.

Still, if you can get the information on it, that will let you know for certain whether or not an upgraded power supply is needed. What's in there could've been erased, or I might have found an out of date spec sheet.

Solution