Question PSU for Media Server

cliffflip

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
Hi, right now I'm currently building a media server PC (Plex Media Server) with Ubuntu 19.04. Most components are secondhand except for SSD. The specs :

• AMD A8-7650K
  • Asrock FM2A68M-DG3+
  • 2x4GB Corsair DDR3
  • 1x WD Green 120GB SSD
  • 3x WDC Blue HDD
  • Segotep AND+ Case (w/ Segotep ATX-500W PSU)

Mainly acts for media server, I want to run this PC 24/7, but I'm still unsure about the PSU. For starter, about its efficiency. Most of my Plex contents are compatible with my TVs and mobile devices, so it''s direct played from the server, thus no high CPU usage for transcoding. Most of the time it spikes to 10-20% just for a few seconds after playing FHD videos or some FLACs, then reduces to <10% afterwards. I've read some articles that an efficient PSUs shine with 80% (or higher) usage, but I didn't find how they perform with lower load. So what about my case? Secondly, about its durability. My only experience with branded PSU is with NZXT Hale (for my main PC) and it's still functional since I bought it in 2010.

This leads me to possibility to buying a low cost PSU. There's Seasonic S12II-450W Evo that's on sale for about 45$ in Jakarta. So for the money, should I buy that PSU or save it for electricity bill?

Thanks in advance!

ScottMescudder

Commendable
Feb 1, 2017
Go for it. Its 80+ Bronze with a 3 year warranty. You'd be pulling the same power consumption on really any PSU you go with so the bill wouldn't change. You COULD get one with better efficiency rates at lower power levels but your bill wouldn't reflect the difference.

For that price and the 3 year warranty I'd say you're good to go.