[SOLVED] PSU guidence with the new rtx 3070

Mar 5, 2020
It is not yet released but from what nvidia recommended i think 550W is not going to be enough (right?). If i switch to a RM750X (750W) will that be enough/a good option? Or if a RM550X is enough that would be great...

Also an extra question, if i have a 8 pin cable for my old GPU and my new GPU has a 8 + 8 pin port, can i simply use an adapter to turn my 8 pin end to a 16 pin end? Or do I need an entire 16 pin cable with 16 pins connected to both PSU and GPU for it to work?

Solution
The rm550x only has one 6+2 port for the GPU though, the other is the 4x4 for the CPU power so i wonder is that a problem? My cable is a 16pin though in the form of 2x 6+2 even though im only using 6 pins for my 1060. Is it normal for a 16 pin cable to be plugged into a single 6+2 slot?

sry for deleting and commenting again the one thing i havent upgraded in my pc is the PSU so i never really cared to learn anything about it ---> i type a stupid question i have to delete it :d

Yes, it's fairly normal. It's ideal to use multiple cables where possible for that extra sliver of safety, but it's fine to use two PCIE connectors chained on the same cable.
First of all,i think your 550W will be enough,but you always want to have some headroom.I suggest buying that RM750X,but if you cant really buy it now,i think RM550X will be 'enough'.
DONT BUY PSU ADAPTER's.it is the worst possible option,here's why:
-might burn you gpu,or whatever you are powering (personal experience)
-sometimes it just wont deliver enough power
-oh yeah have i mentioned burning your gpu,or whatever you are powering?

Mar 5, 2020
The rm550x only has one 6+2 port for the GPU though, the other is the 4x4 for the CPU power so i wonder is that a problem? My cable is a 16pin though in the form of 2x 6+2 even though im only using 6 pins for my 1060. Is it normal for a 16 pin cable to be plugged into a single 6+2 slot?

sry for deleting and commenting again the one thing i havent upgraded in my pc is the PSU so i never really cared to learn anything about it ---> i type a stupid question i have to delete :d

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Titan

sry for deleting and commenting again the one thing i havent upgraded in my pc is the PSU so i never really cared to learn anything about it ---> i type a stupid question i have to delete it :d

Yes, it's fairly normal. It's ideal to use multiple cables where possible for that extra sliver of safety, but it's fine to use two PCIE connectors chained on the same cable.

Solution
Mar 5, 2020
It's likely, but I'd wait to see the reviews that actually test the power consumption, especially in aftermarket cards.
Last question, what is the danger of not enough voltage on the PSU, is this something that can potentially damage a GPU? Or is worst case scenario that the computer simply wont boot/show a bunch of screen glitches etc.

DSzymborski

Titan
Last question, what is the danger of not enough voltage on the PSU, is this something that can potentially damage a GPU? Or is worst case scenario that the computer simply wont boot/show a bunch of screen glitches etc.

Depends on the quality. 550W is not likely to be that close where this would happen, but it's healthier long-term and more efficient to have your PSU running at a lower load.