Question PSU has 6 8 pin slots but 8 pin PCIe cords do not fit

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Apr 26, 2020
Hey there, I recently upgraded to a MSI 1080ti with x2 8pin PCIe port (whoohoo!) but am running into what seems to be a very unique problem. My psu has 6 8 pin slots, but none of them appear to have the slot for the bridge that is on the top right two pins of the male connector on the power cables I have purchased.
c%20(5).jpg

The female port of the picture of the cable is what the female port of my psu looks like, no slot for the bridge. I widdled down a cheap 8 pin PCIe to remove the bridge. The cable would go in (not with ease), but when I try to boot my computer it flashes to life for a split second and then will not turn on until I remove the cheap 8 pin.

I am able to plug in a 6 pin (to psu) to 8 pin (to gpu) but then run into a boot error saying "Please power down and connect the PCIe Power cable(s) for this graphics card).

What is going on here? Why does my PSU not have the standard PCIe ports? What are my options since the female PCIe ports are different from the ones on my new GPU?

Specs
PSU: Rosewill 650w 80plus gold Capstone 650-m
GPU: MSI GTX 1080ti x2 8 pin PCIe ports
Power Cords: EVGA 8 pin to 8 pin (6+2) PCI Express

Last strange note when I google my psu it does not seem to exsist. It seems they must have created a new model of my PSU, but the one I have I cant find.

Thanks for any help!

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Really good info. Thank you so much, this has been quite the learning process. I am waiting for a response from Rosewill, but at this point might just pop for a new PSU.

It wouldn't take much for me, in your situation, price-wise to get pushed to a new PSU. Capstones have generally been a lot less exciting since Super Flower stopped making those for Rosewill and started making PSUs for EVGA instead.

Apr 26, 2020
looking at all problems getting cables would i just spend money on getting a new psu.

Since the cable doesn't come with the psu would i not try it since it doesn't even fit well.

And think that they went easy on connectors so wanted 8 pin sockets for all connectors=pcie/sata/molex, so no they aren't all eps connectors.
Looking at new PSU's at the moment. Should I stick with the 650w or go for something a little more beefy like a 750w? GPU is msi 1080ti Motherboard is Z97 PC mate.

Apr 26, 2020

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
https://www.newegg.com/evga-superno...1-650w/p/N82E16817438163?Item=N82E16817438163 This is the PSU I am currently looking at. Do you think that would be a good fit for my msi GTX 1080ti?

I think it would be fair to describe it as decent, but not amazing.

At that price range, I'd prefer:

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $114.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-27 11:31 EDT-0400

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($107.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $107.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-27 11:32 EDT-0400

PSU prices aren't...great at the moment. I got my current EVGA G3 750 in my main rig for $74. I got my old Super Flower-made Capstone for $69 some years ago.

Apr 26, 2020
Thanks everyone I decided to just go with a new PSU. Not exactly the option I was looking for since I was hoping to just buy a $10 cable, but just seemed like the best solution. Thanks again!

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Thanks everyone I decided to just go with a new PSU. Not exactly the option I was looking for since I was hoping to just buy a $10 cable, but just seemed like the best solution. Thanks again!

You might get one for $10 if they're cooperative!

But any of the PSUs recommended will last you a decade and are upgrades.

It all comes down to headaches vs. price. Personally speaking, I will almost always choose to use money to save myself headaches, but I'm also a 40-something dude with a good job and no huge financial obligations, so I can't assume everyone's in the same boat.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Half the issue is you kept choosing 'extension' cables. You have to ignore the psu end as a 'thing', it's not. It could be round with 50 pins or flat with 4pins. It's a proprietary connection, but that's all it is. The sleeved extension is for a wire that's already connected to the psu and uses a pcie to pcie. The fact that it's a 6pin at the psu is meaningless. You need the factory/original modular cable. Nothing else will work.

Really good info. Thank you so much, this has been quite the learning process. I am waiting for a response from Rosewill, but at this point might just pop for a new PSU.

You can always make your own cable.

Buy some PCIe modular cables made for a Corsair or EVGA, etc. Use a DMM to check the voltage on each pin on the PSU. Then arrange the pins on the modular cable to match your PSU's.

ChevetteSCx

Reputable
Sep 5, 2019
@jonnyguru You are right about the process of testing each pin and converting a set of properly keyed PCIe cables, but I am unsure that the safety of suggesting this is a good idea, considering :
...and sticking out through my noobness.

...and the fact that these unlabelled, 6x 8-pin ports on this CAPSTONE-650, which modular ports do, in fact, appear to be keyed identical to an 8-pin PCIe connector, probably contain not only 12V, but 5V and 3.3V as well. The description and use for these ports, are probably contained in the RoseWill Users Manual, which the poster probably did not get along with the spare modular cables. So, considering what the poster has ALREADY TRIED, I am surprised that their system and/or PSU havent gone FZZZZZZT, PWAAAH already!

As for getting ''replacement modular cables'' from RoseWill, while their Customer Service was extremely professional and had a genuine desire to help me in my situation, the recent 2018 ReUP of their entire PSU fleet, has, well, resulted in a loss of access to replacement parts for the ''older models''. Models which, for some strange reason, have changed wiring conventions on the modular ports, but RETAINED ALMOST IDENTICAL MODEL DESIGNATIONS!!
RoseWill used to mark their PCIe ports with a different colour connector and cable (red), similar to eVGA. But the new model lineup did away with this too.

I think a BRAND NEW, SEALED PSU is the only way to go, here.

Last edited:
...and the fact that these unlabelled, 6x 8-pin ports on this CAPSTONE-650, which do in fact, appear to be keyed identical to an 8-pin PCIe connector, probably contain not only 12V, but 5V and 3.3V as well.

Why would they have +5V and+3.3V when they're made for only PCIe and EPS12V. Answer: They don't. They are four +12V and four ground.

The six pin, on the other hand....

ChevetteSCx

Reputable
Sep 5, 2019
@jonnyguru

I have a RoseWill PHOTON-650, and, frankly, they had a weird way of doing their pre-2018 modular and semi-modular PSUs...

Since the poster uploaded pictures that were missing critical information, namely the ACTUAL MODEL NUMBER, and COMPLETE PICTURE OF BOTH THE PORTS and CABLES (both attached and modular), I could only find ONE RoseWill CAPSTONE 650W PSU that looks the same :
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Pjzv6h/rosewill-power-supply-capstone650m

As you can see in the first picture, it only has the 6x 8-pin modular ports (and no 6-pin) So, since the attached cables appear to be the 24-pin ATX and 4/8-pin ATX12V/EPS12V, PLUS, not too many 650W PSUs (that I know of) have ports for 4x PCIe PLUS 2x ATX/EPS12V, I have to assume that these are ''shared ports'' for use with 4-pin Molex and SATA and would therefore have the respective required 3.3V, 5V and 12V pins...
Furthermore, this PCPartPicker Page now appears to link back to the NEW 2018 MODEL, the 650''M'', on the NewEgg Website...Differences are obvious, especially the 6-pin (labelled) Molex/SATA modular ports.

The following review :
https://www.anandtech.com/show/5698/rosewill-capstone-450w-and-650w-80plus-gold/3

CLEARLY shows the 6x 8-pin modular ports (some with caps) and a Molex/SATA ketchup and mustard cable plugged into one, with orange, red and yellow wires...

But, again, without the manual, and the limited information provided, I can't determine which is which or if there are differences between the 6x 8-pin (especially since the poster has cables in the right two).

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
That's what the multimeter is for. Simply grab a pen and piece of paper, the black lead you ground out to the case/frame, and jab the red lead into each hole in the socket. It's going to come back as 12, 5, 3.3 or 0. Write down the appropriate number, grab your new plug and match up wires according to color code or ground needs. Not that difficult. You don't even need to populate every pin, so if converting a 6pin to an 8pin socket, you could skip the 5v and 3.3v outlets entirely and just plug in the 12v's and grounds.

The outlet sockets on the psu do not adhere to ATX standards, only the output plug on the pcie or Sata end of the wire does.

ChevetteSCx

Reputable
Sep 5, 2019
Again, a tool that I have no doubt you, or me, or jonnyguru would have any trouble with, but, may I remind you that earlier in this post :
I widdled down a cheap 8 pin PCIe to remove the bridge. The cable would go in (not with ease), but when I try to boot my computer it flashes to life for a split second and then will not turn on until I remove the cheap 8 pin.
I am able to plug in a 6 pin (to psu) to 8 pin (to gpu) but then run into a boot error saying "Please power down and connect the PCIe Power cable(s) for this graphics card).

Furthermore, if you look carefully at the upper left most 8-pin port on the PSU, you will note that it now appears that there is a (very rough) ''bridge slot''. This was either deliberately cut into the modular port, or ''created'' when the poster FORCED A KEYED PLUG WITH A BRIDGE INTO IT!!

So, that is why I agreed with DSzymborski, in that the poster should JUST GET A NEW PSU!!

Last edited: