[SOLVED] PSU High-Frequency Noise that has been steadily worsened

erkanektiren

Prominent
Jan 27, 2019
Hey guys!

About a year ago I purchased a Corsair CX750M PSU for my build. The very first day I could hear a faint, high frequency sound coming from my PC. It was quite low compared to the fans but if you put your ear close to the PC you could clearly hear it. Initially I was not sure if it came from the GPU or the PSU, but I was pretty certain that it came from the PSU. I contacted the company and eventually forgot about it.

Now, the situation has worsened quite a bit. The sound steadily got worse but I didn't really notice it until a few days ago when I started a temporary server on my PC. The high-frequency sound can now clearly be heard even when I have my headphones in and I can hear it while I'm in the livingroom aswell. When I have the fans on the highest settings, which is super loud, I can still hear the sound clear as day.

Video of the sound (it's pretty low in the video compared to IRL, so imagine this exact sound but way louder):
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS_unYai1wo

The question now is, is this something that could potentially be harmful to my PC? Do I need to worry? It's extremely bothersome but as long as it's not dangerous then I don't really feel that it's super urgent. If it's not dangerous by the way, is it still possible to put an RMA on it and get a new one? Should I get the same model or go for something else? Do you guys have any suggestions on good PSU:s? I'll post my setup below if it's needed.
  • ASUS Z390-F Strix Gaming
  • ASUS ROG Strix Advanced RTX 2070
  • G.Skill Aegis 16GB 3000MHz
  • Intel Core i9 9900K 3.6GHz
  • Samsung 970 EVO SSD 500GB
  • Corsair CX750M
  • NZXT Kraken M22 120mm Water Cooling
  • 4 (+1 on the Water Cooler) 120mm fans

Solution
Hey guys!

About a year ago I purchased a Corsair CX750M PSU for my build. The very first day I could hear a faint, high frequency sound coming from my PC. It was quite low compared to the fans but if you put your ear close to the PC you could clearly hear it. Initially I was not sure if it came from the GPU or the PSU, but I was pretty certain that it came from the PSU. I contacted the company and eventually forgot about it.

Now, the situation has worsened quite a bit. The sound steadily got worse but I didn't really notice it until a few days ago when I started a temporary server on my PC. The high-frequency sound can now clearly be heard even when I have my headphones in and I can hear it while I'm in the livingroom aswell. When...

erkanektiren

Prominent
Jan 27, 2019
Thanks for the replies guys! I contacted Corsair and this was their reply:

Thank you for bringing this up. I apologize for the issue that you are experiencing. I understand that you're having noise issues with the PSU. This seems to be a hardware issue. The noise is not normal to the unit. It’s very difficult to test units for audible noise in reality because Corsair’s test environment has a very clean power source. Many times, the noises come from the PFC filter circuitry or components used in the AC-DC conversion process, and these components all can react differently based on how clean the power source is. A unit that performs silently here in the lab may react in a house with older wiring, or a room with a failing battery-powered UPS, or any number of other things. If you are using a battery-powered UPS, then please try connecting the PSU directly to the wall outlet. You may also want to try a different video card.

Could the noise coming from the PSU really be because of the graphics card? I mean I understand that the more power used the higher risk for noise (is what I've heard at least) but would this be a reason for me not being able to RMA the product? I don't feel like this noise should be here regardless.

Also, for upgrading the PSU, do you guys have any tips of a good quality PSU that I could use for my build?

Thanks in advance guys!

Could the noise coming from the PSU really be because of the graphics card? I mean I understand that the more power used the higher risk for noise (is what I've heard at least) but would this be a reason for me not being able to RMA the product? I don't feel like this noise should be here regardless.

Also, for upgrading the PSU, do you guys have any tips of a good quality PSU that I could use for my build?

Thanks in advance guys!
Seasonic Focus or Corsair RM/TX.

Iniaskle

Commendable
Mar 5, 2019
Hey guys!

Now, the situation has worsened quite a bit. The sound steadily got worse but I didn't really notice it until a few days ago when I started a temporary server on my PC. The high-frequency sound can now clearly be heard even when I have my headphones in and I can hear it while I'm in the livingroom aswell. When I have the fans on the highest settings, which is super loud, I can still hear the sound clear as day.

Video of the sound (it's pretty low in the video compared to IRL, so imagine this exact sound but way louder):
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS_unYai1wo

The question now is, is this something that could potentially be harmful to my PC? Do I need to worry? It's extremely bothersome but as long as it's not dangerous then I don't really feel that it's super urgent. If it's not dangerous by the way, is it still possible to put an RMA on it and get a new one? Should I get the same model or go for something else? Do you guys have any suggestions on good PSU:s? I'll post my setup below if it's needed.
  • ASUS Z390-F Strix Gaming
  • ASUS ROG Strix Advanced RTX 2070
  • G.Skill Aegis 16GB 3000MHz
  • Intel Core i9 9900K 3.6GHz
  • Samsung 970 EVO SSD 500GB
  • Corsair CX750M
  • NZXT Kraken M22 120mm Water Cooling
  • 4 (+1 on the Water Cooler) 120mm fans
I have the same problem with my CoolerMaster 650w 80+Gold, It is not as loud as yours, But because I wear a headset and its not harmfull I don't care, Coil Whine is not only possible with a GPU, but also with PSU and Motherboard in case you didn't know. And your PSU upgrade should just be 700-750W and 80+Gold to be sure

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador

Thanks in advance guys!
Don't think it's the gpu,what the power source in the house would change uncertain. Still you have to deal with this and they should make it better.

If your using a ups or not directly on the wall could you test,but if the same or just slightly less would i still rma.

What is your budget for a psu? What country?

Hey guys!

The noise is changing because the load changed. You started using the PC as a server and now the switching frequency is different than what it was before because the load is different.

A replacement PSU, even from a different make/model, can still have noise.

Due to all of the new efficiency requirements, lower switching frequencies have to be used. That means "coil whine" is more common now then ever before. These switching frequencies are now typically in the audible range. The noise typically comes from the PFC choke coil.

Now, I will say that the TOPOLOGY of the PSU will make a difference. You chose a CX-M, which is a double forward PSU. This uses what we in the industry call "hard switching". So under certain loads the transformer can actually make noises. If you opted for the CX (non-M), a TX-M or an RM, these use an LLC topology, which has a "softer switching". While this can guarantee that the transformer won't make noises, the PFC choke will probably still make noise because of the lower switching frequency.

On a side note: Things are only going to get worse. The new Intel ATX standard has a requirement for 70%+ efficiency at 2% loads. LLC can't achieve this. So manufacturers are using PFC controllers that are "dual mode". They can switch from an LLC to a burst mode at lower loads. Problem is, the audible noise here is even worse and ripple is double at these low loads.

Last edited:
Solution
Wow. My reply was voted down. That's interesting.

Okay,but should it be this loud? Is that still acceptable?

Typically, you wouldn't hear it with headphones on. If it's so loud that you can hear it with headphones on, then I would say that some of the lamination on the coil or transformer has cracked allowing the copper wires to vibrate louder than typical.

I do agree that certain graphics cards can exasperate the noise. You can test this by removing your discrete card and using the Intel UHD. But that's not a fool proof means of troubleshooting as you can't put as much load on the PSU with a UHD then you can with a discrete card.

Bottom line: Your PSU isn't adequate for the build (not the wattage, but the topology). You can try an RMA to see if the problem goes away, but like @sizzling pointed out: You paired an entry level PSU with a higher end rig. As I said before, you should look for a PSU that has an LLC topology.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Wow. My reply was voted down. That's interesting.
Wish they would say why when doing that. Have the balls to get into an arguement with you. Think we could learn from someone who knows what he is talking about.

I do agree that certain graphics cards can exasperate the noise. You can test this by removing your discrete card and using the Intel UHD. But that's not a fool proof means of troubleshooting as you can't put as much load on the PSU with a UHD then you can with a discrete card.
What kind of gpu? (certain ..) Is that a certain power draw?

@computermonkey,

I am not the threadstarter.

Wish they would say why when doing that. Have the balls to get into an arguement with you. Think we could learn from someone who knows what he is talking about.

What kind of gpu? (certain ..) Is that a certain power draw?

@computermonkey,

I am not the threadstarter.
I downvoted him because he downvoted me first for saying that Seasonic Focus or Corsair RM/TX are good PSUs.

I wonder why everyone recommends them if they are not good.

Mar 1, 2020

I didn't down-vote it (the opposite actually) but if whoever did do that had actually posted a reason they probably would have been banned for doing so.
The razer is a bit excessively sharp on this forum.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
[
I didn't down-vote it (the opposite actually) but if whoever did do that had actually posted a reason they probably would have been banned for doing so.
Didn't imply you downvoted,just said to you that i'm not the threadstarter so quoting me,like you did now again, makes things complicated. Get the feeling you didn't read the thread very well.

And they don't ban that easily ..... well afaik. 😁

Glad everyone got it talked out in the end,can we focus on the threadstarter again.

Reactions: Zizo007

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
The razer is a bit excessively sharp on this forum.

No, they won't. Please stop polluting other peoples threads with your agenda and misinformation. You have been nothing but antagonistic to the moderation team of this site which is what has caused you your troubles, in addition to posting advice that has been excessively proven to be dangerous. In fact there is a person in this thread who would likely tear you apart for it, so I suggest treading lightly.

This is the last word in this thread on the subject, if you have a problem with what I wrote reply to me via PM, any replies to me in here will be deleted and consequences will be taken. I will not have you ruining yet another person's thread.

Reactions: bignastyid

erkanektiren

Prominent
Jan 27, 2019
Well, things escalated quickly in this thread lmfao. Anyway, if I understood correctly what I should do right now is the following:

Order a new PSU, preferrably with LLC topology as @johnnyguru stated. Corsair TX750M should suffice, correct?

After that, I should check if the issue goes away. If it doesn't, then at least I have upgraded my PSU and can use the other one as a replacement. If it DOES go away, I should immediately RMA the old PSU.

Is this correct? Also, my budget is kinda strapped atm because of the current situation with corona etc but at the same time I need to fix this asap so I'm willing to go a bit higher. I live in Sweden.

Well, things escalated quickly in this thread lmfao. Anyway, if I understood correctly what I should do right now is the following:

Order a new PSU, preferrably with LLC topology as @johnnyguru stated. Corsair TX750M should suffice, correct?

After that, I should check if the issue goes away. If it doesn't, then at least I have upgraded my PSU and can use the other one as a replacement. If it DOES go away, I should immediately RMA the old PSU.

Is this correct? Also, my budget is kinda strapped atm because of the current situation with corona etc but at the same time I need to fix this asap so I'm willing to go a bit higher. I live in Sweden.

TX750M would more than suffice. A bit overkill, really. But if they're on sale or something, I suppose you could go that route.

If you're really strapped for cash, you could get away with a TX550M just fine... assuming they're $10+ less expensive.

Reactions: Vic 40

erkanektiren

Prominent
Jan 27, 2019
TX750M would more than suffice. A bit overkill, really. But if they're on sale or something, I suppose you could go that route.

If you're really strapped for cash, you could get away with a TX550M just fine... assuming they're $10+ less expensive.

Oh really? 550W would suffice for my build? Without me having to upgrade in the future?

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
If you're worried, there is a 650watt right in the middle although maybe not in price. Sometimes will the 750watt be cheaper as said may it be on sale.
They do try to improve energy efficiency on newer parts so in theory should a 550watt go a long way.