[SOLVED] PSU hum/buzz even when switched off

Feb 25, 2021
I recently replaced some components in my PC and as plugged my PSU back in I noticed it made a noticeable hum/buzzing noise. I would usually assume this was just coil whine, but it makes this noise even when the PSU is switched off at the back where the cable attaches. I thought coil whine usually only happened when that switch was on?

I've disconnected all my other hardware from the PSU, tried different cables/outlets and the buzz still continues.

Could this be a sign of a more serious malfunction or just normal coil whine? I really don't want to risk blowing the PSU given I was one of the lucky few who managed to get a 3080 on launch day...

Model is SilverStone Strider Gold S ST75F-GS V3 750W 80+ Gold Fully Modular

Solution
I recently replaced some components in my PC and as plugged my PSU back in I noticed it made a noticeable hum/buzzing noise. I would usually assume this was just coil whine, but it makes this noise even when the PSU is switched off at the back where the cable attaches. I thought coil whine usually only happened when that switch was on?

I've disconnected all my other hardware from the PSU, tried different cables/outlets and the buzz still continues.

Could this be a sign of a more serious malfunction or just normal coil whine? I really don't want to risk blowing the PSU given I was one of the lucky few who managed to get a 3080 on launch day...

That's...

That's a really old PSU that wasn't very good to begin with.

Active clamp reset forward! It's going to be as noisy as a double forward when using a 3080. Get a good quality PSU.

Solution