[SOLVED] PSU keeps popping !

May 27, 2020
So my now EX girlfriend bought me a brand new pre-build from iBUYPOWER early last year, it's been VERY expensive and troublesome, I've done so much messing around with it the warranty is way gone, I've gone through I believe 4 PSU's, I don't know A LOT about PC's but I know a bit. The specs are an EVGA GTX 1660Ti, i7-7700, a b350 mobo and a 1TB SSD. my most recent PSU I had in it was a Seasonic 850w Platinum. SO the problem I'm having is the PSU's keep zapping or popping whatever you wanna save, I've tried putting a few in, and it's almost EVERY 2 weeks to the day when a new PSU is put in, it will just zap, I've taken it to 2 different small PC repair places around me, the first guy couldn't figure it out, the second guy claimed to have fixed it, but it then blew up 2 weeks later with the Seasonic 850 I had in it, I haven't been able to my PC in many months because I'm just stuck, I don't know what to do, or how to fix it. Currently the Seasonic turns on when I plug it into the water and turn the power on, but when I push the power button on my case, I get 0 power, I assume as the PSU popped. SO any suggestion as to what keeps popping my power supplies? I moved the whole system to a new case, new mobo and it still happened. So anyone? Please help me. This has had me pretty down and a loss of quite a lot of money.

Solution
Sounds more like you have an issue with the power supplied from the wall and not the issue with the psu.

Are you using the same power cord, just swapping psus? Using the power cord supplied With the new psu? Have you checked the voltage of the wall outlet? Is it getting spiked or under powered or ungrounded for some reason?

850w Seasonic Prime Platinum don't blow up for no reason, not in a pc that can easily be powered by any decent 550w psu and especially because 3? other psus have done the same thing.

The fact the psus are frying, and the components inside the case are not quiting/shorting/burning out, suggests the problem is not from the psu - in, it's from the out - psu.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Sounds more like you have an issue with the power supplied from the wall and not the issue with the psu.

Are you using the same power cord, just swapping psus? Using the power cord supplied With the new psu? Have you checked the voltage of the wall outlet? Is it getting spiked or under powered or ungrounded for some reason?

850w Seasonic Prime Platinum don't blow up for no reason, not in a pc that can easily be powered by any decent 550w psu and especially because 3? other psus have done the same thing.

The fact the psus are frying, and the components inside the case are not quiting/shorting/burning out, suggests the problem is not from the psu - in, it's from the out - psu.

Solution
May 27, 2020

I have been using a Surge Protector, my house was built in the 1950's so maybe not having enough power doesn't surprise me, how would I go about checking the voltage?