[SOLVED] Psu makes a clicking noise when turning pc on and off. (Sometimes while on)

Nonkii

Respectable
Jul 27, 2019
Well. To start off. I have no idea if its hdd or psu but I'm aure it has to be the psu. I recently noticed that 80% of the time I turn on and off my pc it makes a clicking sound. Mostly happens when I have the computer on for 2+ hrs. Is it normal for a psu to do this?

BTW: this is a prebuilt I have been upgrading by time. I was thinking on buying a new psu before noticing this sound since I have a pretty bad cpu with no brand iirc.

Anyways, does anybody know what the issue is? Should I be concerned?
Best regards,
Nonkii

Solution
Rarely happens when its turned on but yea. I tested my hdd and nothing found.

So it happens even when the PC is up and running? Because "rarely" still means "yes".

A click when the PC is turned on and off is normal. There's a relay in the PSU. A click from the PSU while the PC is already up and running is very unsusual.

You have no idea what the PSU is?
Rarely happens when its turned on but yea. I tested my hdd and nothing found.

So it happens even when the PC is up and running? Because "rarely" still means "yes".

A click when the PC is turned on and off is normal. There's a relay in the PSU. A click from the PSU while the PC is already up and running is very unsusual.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nonkii
Solution

Nonkii

Respectable
Jul 27, 2019
So ti happens even when the PC is up and running? Because "rarely" still means "yes".

I see. Yea, I know what the psu is. Do you recommend getting a better quality psu with good reviews?

Nonkii

Respectable
Jul 27, 2019
No idea. I really haven't opened my side panel and looked at the psu. Opened it once to move my cpu cooler backplate.
Well actually. All I can say it goes by the name Apex 500w I believe. Was going to open it this week or next anyways to check it since I had to clean the pc anyways.

AngelJin

Commendable
Jun 19, 2020
If ur psu was a quality one then the clicking sound is from the relay in the PSU transient filter stage which is normal.Never get cheap psu it is the heart of u pc and if goes bad it might destroy other parts.

I'm surprised you even know that brand. Will so before upgrading my gpu then. Thanks! 😊

Don't be surprsed. Deer/Allied/Apex (was sold under many brands) was notorius as one of the worse brand PSUS ever, second only to Powmax. It was the "cheaper sub-brand" of Solytech (if you can believe there could be such a thing as a cheaper Solytech).

The factory in Qingxi Town, China, is now sitting vacant. Thank goodness. I know this because it's literally next door to HEC's newest factory.

Nonkii

Respectable
Jul 27, 2019
Don't be surprsed. Deer/Allied/Apex (was sold under many brands) was notorius as one of the worse brand PSUS ever, second only to Powmax. It was the "cheaper sub-brand" of Solytech (if you can believe there could be such a thing as a cheaper Solytech).

The factory in Qingxi Town, China, is now sitting vacant. Thank goodness. I know this because it's literally next door to HEC's newest factory.
Wow! Have you ever heard of High Power? The prebuilt company I bought from uses them for 600w or more. They use Apex for 500w or less.

Wow! Have you ever heard of High Power? The prebuilt company I bought from uses them for 600w or more. They use Apex for 500w or less.

I don't think they're using Apex for 500W or less anymore. The company is gone. Bankrupt. As safety and efficiency standards increased, their fire hazards couldn't be brought up to comply and they lost almost all of their customers. If they're still using Apex today, it's some really old inventory.

Yes. High Power is the retail brand for Sirtech/Sirfa.

They make a lot of PSUs for Chieftec, Zalman and Rosewill.

Nonkii

Respectable
Jul 27, 2019
Jeez. I really have to check the exact psu I have and I will update you. Well, I guess I'll have to upgrade psu even though it's a pain at the moment. All of them out of stock.
Thanks!

Nonkii

Respectable
Jul 27, 2019
I don't think they're using Apex for 500W or less anymore. The company is gone. Bankrupt. As safety and efficiency standards increased, their fire hazards couldn't be brought up to comply and they lost almost all of their customers. If they're still using Apex today, it's some really old inventory.

Yes. High Power is the retail brand for Sirtech/Sirfa.

They make a lot of PSUs for Chieftec, Zalman and Rosewill.
Alright. Opened side panel and couldn't see anything (sticker) in my psu

View: https://imgur.com/syICShu

Is it on the top? Maybe on the other side?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I don't think I've ever come across a 'dying' psu. Maybe a 'dying' fan or three, but never the actual psu. It either works as it's intended, or it's dead.

Apart from the actual fan, there's no 'user' changeable or fixable parts (unless you really know how to deal with electronics repair), so for the most part as long as the psu is doing what it's supposed to do, it's good. Doesn't mean it's a 'good' psu, just that it works. If any of the rails fail to output the correct voltages, correct amperages, toast. Junk. If it has issues starting up, toast. Issues staying powered up, toast.

But that's me, there's no 'it partially works some of the time' gray area, it's either good or bad.

Nonkii

Respectable
Jul 27, 2019
I don't think I've ever come across a 'dying' psu. Maybe a 'dying' fan or three, but never the actual psu. It either works as it's intended, or it's dead.

Apart from the actual fan, there's no 'user' changeable or fixable parts (unless you really know how to deal with electronics repair), so for the most part as long as the psu is doing what it's supposed to do, it's good. Doesn't mean it's a 'good' psu, just that it works. If any of the rails fail to output the correct voltages, correct amperages, toast. Junk. If it has issues starting up, toast. Issues staying powered up, toast.

But that's me, there's no 'it partially works some of the time' gray area, it's either good or bad.
Alright, thanks! What do you mean when the "rails fail to output the correct voltages, correct amperages"?