[SOLVED] PSU makes buzzing noise(Help)

Mar 27, 2020
Built new pc all new components accept the PSU got it from a friend. at first it was making just light noise but now when i play games the noise has become louder than it used to. what should i do? is it coil whine or could it be something else, should i replace it or not i dont want to risk losing any other components.
The PSU sounds like an old HDD reading and writing for normal use of pc, but when playing games it sounds like a circle saw. here is a link of what it sounds like.
View: https://youtu.be/C0OE6FQHQq0

PC Specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard: ASUS EX-A320M-GAMING
RAM: HyperX Fury DDR4 2666MHz
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 WINDFORCE 2X
PSU: Corsair CX750

Last edited:
Solution
RTX 2070 it is a big card
It should be less than 250W unless overclocked so technically it wouldn't add more than 21A to the 12V rail. This PSU claims to be capable of 62A 12V (not just for the GPU but for the whole bus). That seems to be well enough.

I would wait or get a temporary replacement while it is getting fixed since you already have it. Corsair also might have advanced replacement if you ask for it.
Built new pc all new components accept the PSU got it from a friend. at first it was making just light noise but now when i play games the noise has become louder than it used to. what should i do? is it coil whine or could it be something else, should i replace it or not i dont want to risk losing any other components.
The PSU sounds like an old HDD reading and writing for normal use of pc, but when playing games it sounds like a circle saw. here is a link of what it sounds like.
View: https://youtu.be/C0OE6FQHQq0

PC Specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard: ASUS EX-A320M-GAMING
RAM: HyperX Fury DDR4 2666MHz
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 WINDFORCE 2X
PSU: Corsair CX750

CX750 or CX750M?

Also, read this: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...-been-steadily-worsened.3583501/post-21637425

The best way - is to get a new one. If the noise is the only drawback and you can live with it - it is safe. If you got hands and talents - getting those coils inside the PSU varnished or epoxied will stop the noise.

Edit: found a youtube guy fixing it with hot glue:) I would use epoxy or varnish for electronics...

Hot glue is not thermally conductive. It's best to use thermally conductive potting material. Something like ASI 388 can be purchased from Amazon.

That said, doing this requires opening the PSU. Which is potentially dangerous and does void the PSU's warranty.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
The best way - is to get a new one. If the noise is the only drawback and you can live with it - it is safe. If you got hands and talents - getting those coils inside the PSU varnished or epoxied will stop the noise.

Edit: found a youtube guy fixing it with hot glue:) I would use epoxy or varnish for electronics...
I do not recommend that users ever muck around inside a PSU. This can be VERY dangerous, as jonnyguru pointed out previously.

Mar 27, 2020
Thanks for the replies, i don't mind the noise using headset i can't hear it. Was just afraid it was gonna fry other components, but if it sounds like coil whine and it should not be dangerous i should be fine. but to feel safe i think i am just gonna buy a new one. any recommendation on a solid psu for my rig?

RTX 2070 it is a big card
It should be less than 250W unless overclocked so technically it wouldn't add more than 21A to the 12V rail. This PSU claims to be capable of 62A 12V (not just for the GPU but for the whole bus). That seems to be well enough.

I would wait or get a temporary replacement while it is getting fixed since you already have it. Corsair also might have advanced replacement if you ask for it.

Solution
Mar 27, 2020

Ok thanks for replying, if the noise gets worse i'll replace it.