[SOLVED] PSU making unknown sound. Is this normal or bad?

Feb 15, 2020
I have been using my PC for a couple of months now and I have recently started hearing a sound coming from my power supply. It is a sort of crackling, but I can't tell if it is electrical or something rattling / hitting the fan. I really don't want to have to RMA because i have already had to change a GPU and MOBO for different issues, am I just unlucky?

The PSU model is the Thermaltake BX1 Smart 650w

Also the sound happens after the computer has been on and in use after a number of hours. Is this a normal thing?

Here is the sound:

View: https://youtu.be/NfChFZwybt0

Solution
Ok, if I start hearing the sound do I turn my pc off and then put a popsicle stick in the fan and turn it back on. If this is true I’m not sure if it will work because the sound only starts after a number of hours. Should I see if my PSU has some sort of software for the fan with a zero or really low rpm mode?

Your power supply does not have any software that controls the fan.

You stop the fan once it starts making the noise. CArefully, of course, so you don't risk breaking a fan blade. Just gently press against the hub of the fan until it stops spinning.

But also, this is the first time you mentioned that the noise doesn't start for a couple of hours. Unless the fan is not spinning full RPM until after the PC has "warmed...
I have been using my PC for a couple of months now and I have recently started hearing a sound coming from my power supply. It is a sort of crackling, but I can't tell if it is electrical or something rattling / hitting the fan. I really don't want to have to RMA because i have already had to change a GPU and MOBO for different issues, am I just unlucky?

Stop the fan (with a Popsicle stick or q-tip) and see if the noise stops. If it does, then it's something hitting the fan and you need to RMA it.

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech
Feb 15, 2020
Well, if it's a fan blade hitting a wire and that wire's insulation finally cuts off and the exposed copper wire then shorts against something... it suddenly becomes urgent, doesn't it?
Ok, if I start hearing the sound do I turn my pc off and then put a popsicle stick in the fan and turn it back on. If this is true I’m not sure if it will work because the sound only starts after a number of hours. Should I see if my PSU has some sort of software for the fan with a zero or really low rpm mode?

You stop the fan once it starts making the noise. CArefully, of course, so you don't risk breaking a fan blade. Just gently press against the hub of the fan until it stops spinning.

But also, this is the first time you mentioned that the noise doesn't start for a couple of hours. Unless the fan is not spinning full RPM until after the PC has "warmed up" for a couple of hours, then a wire hitting the fan doesn't make sense.

Solution
Feb 15, 2020

But also, this is the first time you mentioned that the noise doesn't start for a couple of hours. Unless the fan is not spinning full RPM until after the PC has "warmed up" for a couple of hours, then a wire hitting the fan doesn't make sense.
Yeah that's what i was thinking, maybe because by then it is vibrating a little bit and it moves out of place. Or worst case it is electrical. Is the hub of the fan the fan the circular part in the middle or is it another part. (Thanks for telling me, I would have put it in between the blades and then turned it on :eek:)

Feb 15, 2020

Yeah that's what i was thinking, maybe because by then it is vibrating a little bit and it moves out of place. Or worst case it is electrical. Is the hub of the fan the fan the circular part in the middle or is it another part. (Thanks for telling me, I would have put it in between the blades and then turned it on :eek:)

Also. Can you tell me what you think this issue is, because it only starts after a number of hours playing games, and even at the start of that it’s quiet.

Hmm.. That graphics card shouldn't be stressing out any of the magnetics like a higher end card would when using such a cheap power supply.

Could just be a poorly laminated magnetic that is expanding when heated up, causing audible noise.

Like I said, it's a pretty cheap PSU (double forward, no DC to DC, 230V input only, sleeve bearing fan, etc.). I would not have high expectations for quality control.

Feb 15, 2020
Hmm.. That graphics card shouldn't be stressing out any of the magnetics like a higher end card would when using such a cheap power supply.

Could just be a poorly laminated magnetic that is expanding when heated up, causing audible noise.

Like I said, it's a pretty cheap PSU (double forward, no DC to DC, 230V input only, sleeve bearing fan, etc.). I would not have high expectations for quality control.
Does that mean that it isn’t harming my PSU and it is just an annoying sound? A