PSU & motherboard mystery

123lalao

Reputable
May 3, 2014
i recently just got some new parts (a long story) and i needed to buy a PSU as the last component, the one i chose was the Corsair CX500M

when i actually tried to power the system on, the fans would start spinning and i'd hear the HDD doing its thing but there was no beep signifying that it turned on and there was no monitor signal and none of the USB devices lit up

the crux is that when i use a different PSU, the Apevia WIN-500PS, everything powers on fine and i can use the desktop, but when i switch back to the CX500M, only the fans would start spinning and nothing else

i took the PSU to a friend's house and tried powering up his motherboard which only had the front panel and CPU plugged in and there was a beep code. when i did the same thing with my motherboard (nothing except the front panel and cpu plugged in), there was no beep code but the CPU fan would spin

here is a list of my parts:
Motherboard: Intel DH55TC
CPU: Intel Core i3 Dual Core CPU i3-550 3.20GHZ/4MB LGA1156
RAM: 2 x (G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3)
GPU: Radeon HD 5850
HDD: Western Digital 500GB
SSD: Samsung Evo 840 120GB
PSU: Corsair CX500M

i've tried reseating everything, resetting the CMOS battery, leaving only the CPU on the motherboard and still it won't post with this CX500M power supply

123lalao

Reputable
May 3, 2014

but when i use the same PSU on my friend's motherboard it works perfectly fine, as in there was a beep code signifying that there was no RAM/GPU

and i've pressed the pins into the connectors and they click every time

123lalao

Reputable
May 3, 2014

i bought it just yesterday
and i don't think that it is faulty if it works on my friend's motherboard/cpu and there is a beep code

Poprin

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012

You can't really say that because that board returns a beep code that it's a definitive test, if anything the fact that your old power supply works is a more comprehensive test.

It is possible that one or more contacts on the 24-pins connector is not making contact in your computer even though it is OK in your friend's computer. A different cable will help.

123lalao

Reputable
May 3, 2014

the 24pin and 4+4pin connectors aren't modular

i suppose i have to hope that i can be refunded so i can just purchase a different PSU? i don't live in the US so sending the PSU to Corsair would be a huge pain..

Poprin

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012

Surely if it's a day old just return it to the retailer? What country are you in, the uk generally has a 28 day return period and online retail outlets are bound by a 14 day no quibble return law.

123lalao

Reputable
May 3, 2014

returning or exchanging electronics has always been hit or miss with me, unfortunately
i just can't figure out what's wrong

i just got my other friend's PSU and tried that and it booted up fine, so now i have two working PSUs and my brand new one which doesn't work, i suppose it is a faulty PSU after all?

Poprin

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012
Process of elimination my friend, even though it seems the least likely because it's new if everything points to that then it must be. I work in IT for a large company and trust me, when you get batches of equipment even the expensive high quality brands can still have a rotten apple in there!

123lalao

Reputable
May 3, 2014

do you have any suggestions for a new PSU? this whole ordeal is driving me away from picking up the same model

Poprin

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012
In honesty it depends what you want to spend. I literally just used a CX500m in a build last month for a local company and it was fine. I live in the uk, looking at my supplier at similar priced units I would suggest in no particular order

Be quiet! Pure Power 530
Seasonic M1211
Or enermax, but the RevolutionX is more expensive.

TRENDING THREADS