PSU mysterious popp

BisdakIKobe

Reputable
Dec 2, 2016
Hey guys today I woke up and the power in my room was out so i looked around and it turned out it's the main power switch for my room was down so i turned it on and tried turning on my computer and it didn't turn on so i thought i had hit the switch on my psu which i had apparently did the other night so i turn the PSU on and there is a loud pop and then it smelled like burning glue or something (I am 90% sure the smell is from the PSU) so can anyone help me because my pc worked just fine yesterday and i shut it down normally and went to sleep
Pc Specs:
MSI G67A-GD65 B3
G.skill RipJaws 1600mhz 2x4GB
I5 2500K 4.2Ghz
Gtx 660ti PNY Edition (not overclocked)
PSU Enermax Liberty 500W 80+
2x Samsung 400GB HDD's
total power usage was 430 Watts according to the cooler master PSU calculator tool
I havn't tried doing anything since then just pulled the power cord out of the PSU just in case
any ideas ?

Solution
So that sounds like you PSU just popped. Hopefully it has saved your computer components. The only way I can think of to try is to get another one and see if the rest of the PC works. Claiming from insurance might be an option depending if you have cover for something like that..

Gabor

t53186

Distinguished
Sounds, and smells like the power supply failed, which can happen. What is the main power switch for your room, the circuit breaker or a wall switch, like for lights? If the circuit breaker was tripped, that could have been caused by the power supply failing. If you have a "light switch" suggest you use an outlet that is not switched to prevent accidentally turning off the power while the system is running.

gaborbarla

Distinguished
So that sounds like you PSU just popped. Hopefully it has saved your computer components. The only way I can think of to try is to get another one and see if the rest of the PC works. Claiming from insurance might be an option depending if you have cover for something like that..

Gabor

Solution

DSzymborski

Titan
That sounds like a capacitor popping. Which means unless you're extremely experienced at working with power supplies, this power supply has given up the ghost.

The power supply wasn't actually a 500W in any meaningful sense. This is an old PSU with a design that was already ancient a decade ago and could only handle up to 384W on the +12V rail when new. And I expect has been in use for a *long* time. Luckily, you didn't really use 430 watts because those calculators tend to significantly overestimate power use, but you were at around 300W at load.

The rest of your system is *likely* OK, given that the PSU did have the basic protections, but you won't know until you try it with a new PSU. This likely should have been taken out-of-service a long time ago, though there's not much you can do at this point without a time machine.

BisdakIKobe

Reputable
Dec 2, 2016
so I have a friend at the local tech store and he offered me a Xilence XP600R6 and it seems to have overvolt undervolt and etc protections so thats good and I was wondering what would you think about that ?

DSzymborski

Titan

Meh at best. And that may be generous. This isn't even one of the Xilences on the same mediocre-quality hec platform as the cheapo EVGAs or one of the middling Andysons, but some real nasty bottom-barrel Huizhou Xin Hui Yuan Tech-made junk with ChengX capacitors.

What's your budget and location? From this recommendation, I wouldn't take advice from this friend.

BisdakIKobe

Reputable
Dec 2, 2016

what would you offer as a budget PSU because the ones offered above don't seem like it

DSzymborski

Titan

Would need to know your budget and location. If you get a cheapo one, it may run the PC, but leave it at risk for damage to components.

BisdakIKobe

Reputable
Dec 2, 2016

I live in Germany and my budget is around 50 euro + or -