[SOLVED] PSU or GPU issue or something else entirely?

Feb 7, 2019
I have been experiencing an odd issue the past couple of weeks and I am not sure what is going on so I wanted to see if anyone has experienced similar issues. A few weeks back, I started getting CTDs while playing LotRO on either DX9 or DX11 settings. Then I started getting CTDs with graphical artifacts. At first I thought it was an issue with the game, so I played Witcher 3 on ultra settings and I would end up with CTDs and graphical artifacts after about 30-45 minutes. Here are some of the things I tried before RMA'ing the GPU:

--dxdiag shows no obvious errors/issues
--trying the GPU in the other PCIe slot (Asus Maximus Hero VII mobo)
--swapping out PSU cables and using different VGA slots on the PSU (EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2)
--boot to Safe and doing a clean install of GPU driver (417.71 at the time)
--boot to Safe and doing a clean install of previous versions of GPU drivers (all the way back to 411.70)
--updating BIOS

None of above attempts fixed the issue and the CTDs seemed to happen more and more frequently after the first time the graphical artifacts crash happened, sometimes within 2-3 minutes of loading into LotRO. Once the new GPU arrived, I didn't have any issues at first. However, after several hours of LotRO gameplay on the first day, I got a CTD with the same graphical artifacts. According to Event Viewer, all of these crashes are associated with nvlddmkm, which seems to be GPU driver-related, but some things I found suggest it may also be because of PSU issues with voltage to the GPU. I still had my EVGA GTX 970, so I tried that on both LotRO and Witcher 3 ultra settings and I haven't had any CTDs after several hours of gaming on both. I also attempted all of the same fixes as above, except for updating the BIOS, with the new GPU to no avail. I have gone ahead and ordered a new PSU, and hopefully that is all that is wrong, but there are a few things that seem odd to me:

--I haven't had any other power issues (that I'm aware of) with any other components. If it were a PSU issue, shouldn't I have seen some issues with other components as well?

--When I have EVGA Precision XOC and GPU-Z running, I don't see any obvious voltage or temperature issues on the 970 during gaming or on the 1080Ti during non-game use.

--The GTX 970 has two 6-pin connectors, while the 1080Ti version I have has two 8-pin connectors (for some reason the installation instructions show a 6-pin and an 8-pin, but not two 8-pins). Is it possible for there be something wrong with the PSU where the use of the two 8-pin connectors on the GPU is causing voltage issues?

Nothing is overclocked in my system. The system also runs fairly cool, rarely over 73C on the GPU under gaming load (Corsair 750D case + fans & Noctua NH-D15 on the CPU); the CPU consistently stays under 60C during gaming as well (i7-4790K) . According my web searches, the only other possible component that I've found that could be causing an issue is bad RAM. I haven't tested that yet since everything has been working fine with the 970 after about a week of usage while awaiting the new PSU.

Solution
well if your old GPU works with no problems, it would indicate that there is an issue with your 1080Ti or motherboard.

Can you try the 1080 in a friends computer?