PSU or motherboard problem?

kyleisplainvintage

Reputable
Mar 26, 2014
My computer had a power surge due to a thunderstorm recently. It damaged my network card, but after a few hours later my whole computer shut down and wouldn't turn back on. I reset the CMOS battery in my motherboard but all it did was start up the fans before shutting down again. I used the paperclip test on my PSU, and it worked but I heard it isn't 100% guaranteed. I used my old computers(2009. HP) motherboard on my current PSU and the fans started to spin for 5 seconds before stopping. But the PSU fans kept spinning. I used the 2009 computer's PSU(250w, probably not reliable) on my current motherboard and nothing worked. Is this a PSU or a motherboard problem?

InvalidError

Titan
The "paperclip test" only tells you if the PSU might be completely dead by trying to force it on. If it does turn on, you still have no idea whether the output voltages are at the expected levels, stable and clean. You need at least a multimeter check if all outputs are within their expected nominal value ranges to have any sort of confidence in the paperclip test. As other have told you though, even this is not 100% certain since the PSU might behave differently once connected to loads.

The 250W PSU might not be strong or stable enough to run your newer PC. If the old PC still worked with the old PSU but not with the new one, I would think the new PSU got busted. Since the network port died on you, there is a fair probability some of the surge current went through the motherboard too. Surge damage is not always immediate: the residual surge energy can cause minor breakdowns in semiconductors that increase leakage current without immediately interfering with normal circuit operation but gets progressively worse over time, generates local overheating and eventually degenerate into failure.

What is the new and presumably dead PSU brand and model?

Seems to me that both PSU and motherboard were damaged. Otherwise either PSU or motherboard from the 2009 computer would have worked with the affected computer components... and I suppose the 2009 computer was and is working normally before and after these tests?... An affirmative answer confirms that both affected components don't work.

kyleisplainvintage

Reputable
Mar 26, 2014

Corsair 80+ certified bronze 600w

kyleisplainvintage

Reputable
Mar 26, 2014

yes, it was and still is working normally.

InvalidError

Titan

Corsair probably has more than one PSU model that meets this description. I'm guessing this means CX600.

The CX series are known to be quirky. If you replace it, you might want to check if you can find something like the 620W Seasonic S12-II which can be found for about the same price but is of substantially better quality.

kyleisplainvintage

Reputable
Mar 26, 2014

sorry, yes it was the CX