Question PSU or ?

disturbedm

Distinguished
May 9, 2011
Hi all,

Bit of a weird one (for me anyway) that after years of building and dealing with problems, I'm a bit lost and trying not to just chuck money at the problem to fix it.

My gf's computer recently started showing problems where the the screen turns off, and all the USB devices turn off but the computer keeps running. (as seen by all the fans and constant noise from HDD's etc. Don't hear the HDD's wind down then come back on etc). I have to resort to turning it off manually by holding power down/wall and reboot and then PC may or may not work for anything from a few minutes to hours. Both just watching youtube or playing demanding games.

Now I'm personally used to seeing blue screens for HDD failures and bad PSU usually just turn of altogether. However as she was running low on space and didn't have an SSD, I thought i'd get her one, reinstall windows fresh and see if that does anything, purely just because y'know windows and updates have screwed with us all at some point in the past and it's usually a good place to start. Problem persists after doing this though. So even though I wasn't leaning towards HDD, it clearly isn't that.

So then I start pushing the computer, running PRIME95 for GPU. Run a memtest and cpu test, also both CPU and GPU at same time and sometimes it does it within a few seconds, other times not for ages or at all, then i'll stop the tests and almost randomly x amount of times later it'll do it again. The closest i came to blaming the GPU was running Prime and getting it to blank screen/usb cut 3 times in a row fairly quickly. But as stated above i've ran prime after that for a lot longer with no issues.

I've reseated the card, swapped ports, tried cleaning it out etc. reseated connections, reseated RAM (figured why not).

Problem persists.

The thing that's throwing me is the screen going AND the USB ports. Surely that means PSU more than anything right? (I mean i guess motherboard could be a problem I'm just less inclined to think it's that because i've never had a motherboard fail in 15years of me building these - with exception to once on a new build that I RMA'd).

Also no errors being thrown up on the motherboard and nothing in event log that can't be explained off or is unrelated.

When the blackout/usb happens, nothing from a component point of view seems to stop working - aka - fans lights etc inside case continue for what that's worth.

No changes to components. PC is between 3-4years old. Nothing has changed with it internally.

Really tempted to go for a new PSU (it's only running a 450watt and the I think a 500w min would be best with the Radeon 570x thats inside - wondering if that's just put a lot of stress on PSU over the years) anything anyone can share would be appreciated.

disturbedm

Distinguished
May 9, 2011
What's the exact make and Model number of your current 450 Watts PSU ? Also, list full PC specs of that system, including the make/model of the motherboard.

Sorry I didn't know her specs off the top of my head like mine, I figured someone would ask, but was hoping description of whats going on might eliminate the need for it.

Anyway, specs are

Radeon RX 570
AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Six-Core CPU (3.6GHZ)
DDR4 16gig
PSU is G450M Coolmaster
Motherboard ASRock AB350M Pro4

Hope that's helpful.

Appreciate the reply

EDIT: Should also mention nothing is OC on it either

disturbedm

Distinguished
May 9, 2011
Additional example of the issue from last night. She was playing LoL for two hours before it happened. Other days it'll be sat on desktop doing nothing and do it within 10mins